Followers

Friday, June 13, 2014

Well Bless Your Heart!


Bless Your Heart is a true Southernism. I do not know of any other region of the USA that uses this little phrase the way we do here in the South. When I was a child, if I had a little injury, Well Bless Your Heart was frequently heard from my mother or grandmothers.

It is one of my favorite sayings...so much so that my friend, Susan, purchased this pretty pillow from Etsy for me as a birthday gift. It sits in my antique rocking chair.  It makes me smile!!

When I saw this magnet at Cracker Barrel I knew it had to come home with me and live on my refridgerator.  Recently Bless Your Heart has come upon hard times. I have heard it said that here in the south you can say anything mean about someone as long as you add, Bless their heart, as an ending to the sentence.  I must admit, I have been guilty of doing that occasionally.  I have some northern friends who say that they thought it was a nice saying until they thought it over and wondered if it wasn't a Snarky Southern thing.  Ok, you got us...sometimes it is!! But for the most part I still use Bless Your Heart as a comforting word to my grands just like all the mamas in my life have said for many years.  So if you are having a bad day..after all it is Friday the 13th, Well Bless Your Heart! And I mean that in a good way!:)

4 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I am guilty of saying this myself. Cute idea for a magnet.

Terri D. said...

Love that saying and yes, we hear it a lot down here in the south! Love the pillow!

Arlene Grimm said...

It is a comforting phrase to me and I hope to pass it n to my grands!!

Mrs R said...

Love that phrase. Sometimes I say it but maybe I will say it more/better when I live down south? My mother used to say bless your little pointed head. (I don't know why - none of us had pointed heads.)