Followers

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Gottlieb's Chocolate Chewies

When we were in Savannah for Marvin's high school reunion, we had Chocolate Chewies at the Sunday Morning Good Bye Brunch catered by Gottlieb's Deli. I am a chocoholic and I LOVED these chewy nut filled cookies. When I got home from the reunion, I googled the dessert hoping to find a recipe and I did!!   I must say that the chewies we had at the reunion were flatter and rounder than mine turned out...but the taste is the same.  So here is the recipe and I can assure you, these cookies are Mahvelous!

Gottlieb's Chocolate Chewies
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 c cocoa
2 T flour
3 egg whites
2 c chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Place sugar, cocoa and flour in bowl of electric mixer and beat on low until well blended. Beat in egg whites one at a time, scraping the bowl as necessary. When all ingredients are combined, beat at high speed for one minute, then stir in pecans.
Drop by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheets leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 15 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Turn the sheet half way through cooking time.
Remove from oven, allow to cool. Store cookies in airtight container or freeze for later use.  This recipe makes two dozen cookies

I am wondering if my cookies did not "spread" as much as the ones I ate at the reunion is because I used my eggs right out of the fridge. Next time I will allow the egg whites to come to room temp. Also I had no plain flour so I used self rising....next time I will follow the directions exactly. Believe me, I plan to perfect this recipe!!

Gottlieb's Deli was a Savannah tradition until 1994 when Isser Gottlieb closed the doors. But thanks to B'nai B'rith Synagogue in Savannah you can order old Gottlieb favorites.  And I must say, the spread we enjoyed at our brunch was delicious.

2 comments:

Terri D. said...

Oh my goodness, those look and sound so good!!

Blackberry Lane said...

I would love these.