Followers

Friday, August 8, 2014

A New Kitchen

No...it is not my kitchen but my sister in law, Lanier's kitchen.  Lee and Lanier live in Memphis, Tennessee and their new family room and kitchen remodel is featured in today's Memphis Commercial Appeal, the local newspaper. Lanier shared some photos of her new kitchen with me and I am sharing them with you.

Lee and Lanier have lived in their big mid century modern home for about five years. It is a nice roomy house on an acre of land which is unusual in a city. Like most homes built in that era, the rooms were separate...family room, breakfast room, kitchen and laundry room were all small and rather dark.Lanier had a vision to open the spaces up to make it more modern and more usable. Lee and Lanier have five adult children, four are married and have given them eleven grandchildren under the age of five! So their house sees a lot of action. Between entertaining family and friends, the tiny old kitchen was just not cutting it for the Grimms.  The remodel was long, about nine months but the results were worth the wait!

Moving walls allowed the open kitchen that Lanier had envisioned. To the back left of the photo you can see the computer area. The contractor took an old hallway near the back door and turned it into the perfect office. In the same area is a new powder room and the laundry room which was enlarged as well.

My brother in law, Lee, is a great cook and I know he is enjoying his new Wolf Range. Lee is a surgeon so he feels right at home in this bright, white kitchen.:)  One thing I like about this kitchen is all the deep drawers. If I ever re do my kitchen, I am getting rid of lower cabinets which do not function well at all.

This is the Coffee Bar located near the Pantry. Ice machine, drinks refridgerator and coffee maker are so convenient. Upper cabinets hold glasses and coffee mugs.

More great storage and the perfect place to lay out a buffet at family dinners. Drawers hold dishware, silverware and linens.

As I told Lanier, this is the part of her kitchen that makes me covet!!:) It is perfect for holding food as well as appliances and serving pieces.  The nice step stool makes it easy to access all the shelves.

Thanks to Lanier for sharing her new kitchen with us. I know that kitchen is going to be put to good use in the years ahead.

5 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

It truly is beautiful and I love all the storage!

Arlene Grimm said...

Me Too Mildred...I am totally over cabinets and into deep drawers! So much more practical.

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, is that kitchen BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to have that pantry. Seriously. Thanks for sharing the re-do with us. Are there "before" photos to see? Great reno!

Arlene Grimm said...

No old pix Terri but that would have been a good before and after! It was your basic 50s kitchen. A u shaped area, window over the sink. Not much had been done to it since it was built! And that pantry just makes me drool!!

Mrs R said...

That kitchen is gorgeous! Wow!