Followers

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Edward Tulane

This has not been the best of weeks in Nanaland. In addition to Baylor's diagnosis of autism, some dear friends lost their 18 year old son over the weekend. Many tears have been shed and prayers lifted up. My dear friend, Susan, gave me this little book to read when we met for lunch on Thursday.  Friday evening I sat down to read and I was immediately drawn in to this children's book, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

Written in 2006, this is the story of a rather vain and affected china rabbit who lives on Egypt Street with his 11 year old owner, Abilene. Abilene loves Edward Tulane dearly. She dresses him each day, sits him in a chair with his little pocket watch on his knee, to look out the window as he awaits Abilene's return from school.  But while Edward is much loved, he finds Abilene and her family rather boring and ordinary. Only Pellegrina, Abilene's grandmother, causes him some unease. She seems to be able to see into his brain.

Much excitement comes to Abilene's home as the family prepares to travel on a ship to London.  Abilene insists that Edward come along but that decision turns out to be one that Abilene will regret in the days to come. One day on board deck, two naughty boys snatch up Edward and begin to toss him around to Edward and Abilene's consternation.  In the horseplay, Edward Tulane is flung overboard.  Thus begins Edward's miraculous journey. Over the years, Edward is rescued and tossed aside. But his many owners leave an imprint on the rabbit's heart and he comes to know love.

I read this book in one evening and I plan to add it to my collection of Must Have books. A movie is in the works and when it comes to the theater, this reader will be there with her popcorn, ready to enjoy another journey with Edward Tulane.

5 comments:

Terri D said...

I love how a good book can sooth the soul. Praying for you and all...

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes it can Terri! That is why I just do not understand people who say they do not like to read. This book was a balm to my troubled soul. Hoping next week is better.

Blackberry Lane said...

Very sorry about the unexpected passing of your friends' son. Thanks for the book review.
Continuing to remember you all and Baylor in prayer.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Mildred. I appreciate my prayer warriors!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so sorry for your sadness and I will keep Baylor in my prayers. Thanks for showing us photos of him. I hope this week is better. And I'll look for this book...I know I would enjoy it, too! Sweet hugs, Diane