Followers

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cherish The Moment

Two events in the last few days have caused me to remember that I need to cherish each moment of the life God has blessed me with here in this world. The first event was the death of a young husband and father who left a sweet wife and a three year old son to grieve his passing. The sweet  wife was one of my young friends. I met her when I worked at Central Weekday School. She was a fellow teacher there. We both loved two year olds and we really bonded over our love for monograms and creating neat crafts for our young students. We often sat together in the morning before school started, sharing bits and pieces of our lives. As if often happens, time brings change. We both moved on from teaching and I would see her occasionally around town and we were facebook friends but it is just not the same as having someone in your life on an everyday basis.  I had heard that her husband was battling cancer and I prayed for my friend and her family.  The battle was lost on Friday and yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the visitation to express my sympathy to this sweet girl. But she is not a girl any longer. She is a strong, brave woman who graciously greeted all who came to pay their last respects to her husband.  My heart aches for her as she faces the days ahead. Please remember her in prayer.

Then, last night as I scrolled down facebook postings, I saw the news of the death of Robin Williams. Both Marvin and I were so saddened to hear of this brilliant man's death. He was a man who brought joy to so many but had trouble finding that joy in his own life.  To me he will always be Mork...that crazy alien who wore rainbow suspenders and a puffy vest! How could Mindy NOT fall in love with him? Dead Poets Society and Mrs Doubtfire were two of my favorite movies that he starred in over the years.  I hope that Mr Williams death will remind us that depression is real and it can be deadly.  He will be missed by many and my heart goes out to his wife and children.


3 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. That is so very sad. I know she appreciated your visit. May God give her strength and wisdom in the days ahead.

Mr. Williams' death is so ironic. That he gave laughter to so many but never found true joy himself.

Terri D said...

I will pray for your young friend and her family as she grieves the loss of her husband. Cancer is such an insidious disease. I am also saddened by Robin Williams' suicide.

Mrs R said...

Arlene, may God surround the loved ones of your friend and Mr Williams as well with comfort and peace. So sad.