Followers

Friday, September 12, 2014

In The Land of Cotton

As I was driving the children to school the other day, I noticed that a cotton field was showing its colors! The white cotton bolls are opening up and soon the smell of defoliant will fill the air! Yes, crop duster planes spray defoliant on the fields before the cotton pickers roll up and down the fields. The smell of defoliant is a fall smell for me. It is a distinctive yet not unpleasant smell. Once the defoliant has done its job, the cotton fields are just beautiful. Such a brilliant white, almost like a snowfall.

I must admit that when I saw some of the cotton plants opening up next to the road, I was tempted to stop and pick a few bolls for decorating! However that was not necessary as I found some beautiful fake cotton boll picks at one of my favorite stores in Hartselle, Bumblebee!

I added the picks to my vase full of sticks that resides on my mantle. It adds a fall touch to the room.

I really like the way it pops the vases on my mantle.

One of my favorite prints in my house is the one in the background above my china cabinet...a pretty basket full of cotton. And I added a cute pumpkin picture that Kendall made in art last year as well as some fun ceramic jackolanterns in front of a canvas of my two monkeys, Landon and Margaret.

Fall is coming and I am looking forward to it!!

5 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I love your painting and your vases. So nice to see the cotton. I do love this time of year! Happy Weekend.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mildred...its cotton pickin time in Alabama!! There used to be many more fields than there are today!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your cotton and should look for some of the 'faux' cotton, too! It adds so much to Fall displays. Love the cute photo you've included, too! Hugs!

Terri D said...

Your cotton balls look real! The vases are just lovely!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Ladies...it is very realistic! :) And the farmer would probably appreciate me leaving his in the field!!