Followers

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Never Forget

If someone were to ask me the question, "What was the most frightening day in your life from a historic viewpoint?" I would answer without hesitation, "September 11, 2001." I was born in 1955 and as a child I experienced the assassination of a president. That day is etched in my memory but a bit hazy wit the passing of years. I remember the day the Space Shuttle, Challenger, exploded. As a resident of Huntsville, Alabama at the time, it was a devastating loss to our community. Many Huntsville engineers worked for NASA and knew the astronauts who were lost that day.

But Tuesday, September 11th is crystal clear in my memory. I was on my way to work at Central Weekday School where I taught one of the two year old classes. I was listening to one of my favorite radio programs, Rick and Bubba, when they reported that a there was a fire at the World Trade Center. Then the news that a plane had flown into the tower...then another plane. I think everyone in the United States knew that we had been attacked by terrorists.  Of course, I had to compose myself to take care of my little ones but you could see the fear and dismay on the faces of the parents as they dropped the children off at school that day. My assistant received a phone call from her husband relating that the Pentagon had been hit as well. We could not help but wonder, What next? I did not see the disturbing images of the planes hitting the twin towers until after work that day. Sobering images that will remain with me the rest of my life.

While this was a national tragedy, I also remember seeing the brave people of NYC soldier on amid chaos. I read so many stories of kindness in the face of terror. We are Americans. We may be divided over many things but when our country and way of life is threatened, we pull together.  So today I will remember those who lost their lives that day...those who were passengers on the planes as well as the first responders who gave their lives helping others to escape from the burning towers.  Rest in Peace.