Followers

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday in Nanaland

It is still dark outside as I sit here on the couch posting my blog today. Kendall and Landon arrive early as their stepmom, Tara, has to be at work very early on the weeks the children are with Nick and Tara. I will drive them to school, then stop for a big cup of coffee at McDonalds on the way home.  Marvin is not allowed to have caffeine as it makes his heart pitter patter with premature atrial contractions and being a sweet wife, I suffer along with him.:) But when I get a chance to have some caffeine, I take advantage of it. Since today is a cleaning day in Nanaland, I need all the help I can get.

Here in NoAla, I can see signs of the approach of fall. Darkness is falling a big earlier in the evenings and by Thanksgiving it will be dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. Living at the edge of the central time zone makes for short winter days. A few leaves on the trees here are beginning to change colors as well. The corn fields are ready to be turned into mazes as some of the local farms open their gates for pumpkin patch time. In Target yesterday, I noticed that Halloween books were front and center in the children's section of the book aisle. Just the other day, Margaret and I went through all my seasonal books and pulled out the fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving books. They are in a pretty basket in the living room so we can read them at our leisure. Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor is one of my favorites. Other books in the basket are Max's Halloween( all Nanas know who Max and Ruby are!), It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Fall Leaves, Arthur's Halloween, The Berenstain Bears Halloween Fun, Pumpkin Heads, Arthur's Thanksgiving, The First Thanksgiving and The Turkey Hunt.

There is talk of a Cold Front this week. That means the nights will be cooler and the day time temps will be in the low 80s but we like that kind of weather. When the humidity goes away Southerners love getting outdoors to walk, work in the yard and to enjoy the fall festivals that are taking place in several communities.  I am putting away our light summer quilt and putting the fall and winter comforter on the bed today, looking forward to some cool nights!

So today I will clean, organize and do laundry. I may burn some of my fall candles...Autumn Wreath and Harvest by Yankee Candles.  Change of seasons is always a good time to "nest". I also received another Gladys Taber book in the mail yesterday, Stillmeadow Calendar. I may have to spend some time in New England via arm chair!

8 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Hi Arlene. I saw your comment about north Alabama on Cranberry Morning's blog. I live in Rogersville. I've been enjoying your blog!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for dropping by Amy!! I always love to meet new NoAla Bloggers. I have a few on my Blog Roll and now I will include your blog!! Sweet T Makes Three and My Blessed Life are both from this area.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Someone mentioned the book, Pumpkin Moonshine on my blog when I showed my pumpkin moon. I don't think I've ever read it but I love getting seasonal books out, too. I've been cleaning like crazy since we got back. Time to declutter and donate! Enjoy your week my friend! Hugs!

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, I will do a post on Pumpkin Moonshine. It is a sweet book.

Terri D said...

It's not cooler, here in central Florida, but I did make a bit pot of beef vegetable soup. Having football on the TV made it feel like fall!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, there was a cool breeze when I went out to get the paper this morning. I just stood there a moment and enjoyed it!!

Whitney Pendell said...

Love this post! You described the coming of fall in such a vivid fashion. My Nana always had Tasha Tudor books for us to read when I was little. I also loved "Amy's Goose," a story about a little girl's love for a wounded goose that recovers in time to fly South for the winter. Happy fall to you!

Arlene Grimm said...

Whitney, I am a big Tasha Tudor fan. she was a person who followed her own drummer! Thanks for dropping by today! Love your blog!!