Followers

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

W is for....

In my case, W is for Wednesday but the book I just read was W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton. Being here at the beach I have had lots of time to read and I really enjoyed the latest installment of the Kinsey Millhone series that I have been reading since A is for Alibi, which was written in 1982.  I have always loved quirky Kinsey. Raised by a maiden aunt after the death of her parents in a car accident when she was five years old, Kinsey grew into a very independent woman. She lives in a tiny studio apartment owned by her friend, Henry, an octogenarian who any reader cannot help but love! He keeps her grounded and provides comfort food when needed, as he is a retired baker. In addition to Henry we meet his siblings who are all in their 80s and 90s. They are a long lived bunch.  Kinsey runs her own private detective agency and over the years she has run into some pretty rough characters.  In W is for Wasted, a dead man shows up at the morgue with Kinsey's name and phone number written on a slip of paper which is in his pocket. Kinsey has no idea who the person is but comes to find out that is a cousin from her dad's side of the family. Since she was raised by her late mother's sister, Kinsey has no knowledge of the Millhone side of the family. In addition to being her cousin, Terrence was homeless, living on the streets of Kinsey's home town of Santa Teresa.  While investigating the death of her relative, Kinsey gets to know Pearl, Dandy and Felix who are Terrence's best friends from Harbor House, a homeless shelter. Kinsey also digs into the world of pharmaceutical trials and the danger new drugs can be to those in the clinical testing as well as noisy PI's who look at the books a little too closely.  We also meet some of Kinsey's extended family and they are quite unique and none to pleased to learn that Terrence left Kinsey $500,000 in his will.  Of course Kinsey solves the case to the satisfaction of all and makes me long for the release of X is for?( Xanax,Xanthan, Xerox,Xiphoids). Of course I had to look up those words on Word Finder!! Whatever it turns out that X is for, I will be reading!

6 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

Thanks for the review. Glad you are enjoying your time at the beach.

Arlene Grimm said...

I hated to finish up this book Mildred. It is chilly at the beach this afternoon so I am going to sit in the condo, look out at the ocean and cross stitch.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Enjoy your relaxing time at the beach. I love looking out at the ocean....I can do that for hours! Hugs Diane

Arlene Grimm said...

It has been a bit chilly here Diane so I spent the afternoon cross stitching in the condo and looking out at the ocean Diane.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

This sounds like a great book. Reading is my favorite thing to do at the beach.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for dropping by Amy!! I love visitors and making new blog friends.