Followers

Monday, September 15, 2014

Weekend Reading

Thanks to a sweet blog friend, I found a website that sells old books, ABE Books. Books that might be very special to someone but they are no longer in print. It was here that I found two more Gladys Taber books about Stillmeadow Farm.

I so enjoy sitting down to read these sweet remembrances of time past. Mrs Taber describes the changing seasons at her Connecticut farm. In this book, her best friend, Jill, has passed away. (These two widows lived on the farm after the death of their husbands and were the best of friends as only women can be!). The reader can feel the sadness as Mrs Taber relates her days at the farm, relying on friends and neighbors to fill the void in her life.  I finished up June before I went to bed last night and now I am on to the second half of the year!!



Speaking of old books, this one arrived smelling a bit musty and my allergies were protesting as I opened this book so I put a laundry softener sheet inside it and left it to sit in the laundry room for several days. This got rid of some of the "smell" but not completely so I pulled out my Young Living Essential Oils and chose to use some Purification on it. I dabbed a bit of the oil at the top of about twelve pages and left it to sit one day. Voila! Purification did the job and now I can read my book without a runny nose and watery eyes.  So essential oils have many uses!!

I love this old book by Tasha Tudor. Fortunately the publishers realized it would be a good book to re-release and I purchased it several years ago. On the dedication Ms Tudor gives us this sweet sentence, A wee story for a very sweet wee person. I have a feeling it must have been a grandchild!! Pumpkin Moonshine tells the story of Sylvie Ann who was visiting her grandparents in Connecticut  and she wanted to make a PUMPKIN MOONSHINE.   That was Sylvia's name for a Jackolantern! But the big old pumpkin gets away from Sylvie as she rolls it home! A sweet story of a little girl and her grandparents.  I love Tasha Tudor's illustrations!!



Ms Tudor was a very unique personality. She loved to dress in clothes from the 19th century and she lived very simply in her New England home.  I have several books that were illustrated by Tasha Tudor and I treasure them all.

Fall is a good time to sit down with the hot beverage of your choice and travel back to a simpler time. These books are perfect for just such an excursion.

7 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Great idea about the Purification oil. I have some too and will use it for the same purpose! Love Tasha Tudor. :-)

Arlene Grimm said...

Judy, it really worked wonders...of course now my book smells like purification but I can take that!!

Blackberry Lane said...

These books look so enjoyable. Thanks for the oil tip as I got an old magazine that smells musty.

Terri D said...

Essential oils are amazing!

Arlene Grimm said...

Glad I could pass on a household hint as well as book recommendations. I love my young living oils!!

Algodão Tão Doce said...

Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

Obrigada.

Beijos Marie.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I buy a lot of old books so I'll have to remember your tip. I hate that old musty smell. One time I left a stack of small books inside a Tide box for a long time! That helped! lol I love these books...I need to find Pumpkin Moonshine. That sounds so cute! Hugs!