Followers

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Points of Light

My nursing school days were long ago but I am grateful for the experiences I had, the fellow nursing students who are still friends and the great eduation I received in my Diploma Nursing Program. Diploma Nurses are a thing of the past now. We went to school for three years, non stop and we learned so much as we were put through our paces! When we graduated we were ready to give skilled nursing care in many areas. Today most nurses have a Bachelor of Science degree but not so much clinical experience. They get that on the job these days. ( Doesn't that make you feel safe and secure?) Of course I am biased on this subject! My nursing school room mate, Karen, had a physician say to her, "Where did you go to school and get out with two years of experience?" She was happy to tell him, Georgia Baptist Hospital School of Nursing. Now the school is a BS program that is a part of Mercer University and the old hospital is Atlanta Medical Center. Our dormitory is now a flashy apartment building for students who go to school in Atlanta colleges and universities.  But I still have my memories and I can always beat my husband when the medical categories come up on Jeopardy!  I am glad to be one of the 5081 points of light that Georgia Baptist sent out into the world!

7 comments:

Terri D said...

Loved reading this post. You are so right that education was so much different "back in the day". I truly believe we learn so much more by doing. I have the highest regard for nurses. Bless you!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Terri! A good nurse is truly a treasure. In this day and age the nurses are so overworked it is hard for them to give the care they would like to give. I guess this is true in most professions!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Good for you! Love this post. So wonderful to have had that training.

Arlene Grimm said...

I am thankful for my training every day...

Gina said...

Hello there girlfriend! I've been up to my ears with realtors etc. I added a short little blog for updates and tidbits of life.

Love the nursing school sign! What wonderful memories.

http://gentleworkbylanternlight.blogspot.com

Gina said...

Sorry Arlene. Wrong url above. This one is correct

http://an-artists-touch.blogspot.com/

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I've had wonderful nurses and I've had some that were not so wonderful. I'll bet you were a terrific nurse and had many grateful patients!