Followers

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reading

Some weeks will go by when I find it hard to locate any book that I want to read so I resort to my own private library and re read an old favorite. This week I have FOUR books that I am reading so I am in book heaven.

The Hive is a book I picked up at Target. It is about a group of moms in Great Britain who spend their time picking children up from school, scheming to find ways to raise money for St Ambrose School while dealing with two moms who are vying to be Queen Bee of this little group.

Cutting for Stone is a book that I heard about several years ago in our library book group. It seemed to be a book that the ladies in that group loved or hated. I decided to order it from Paperback Sway and give it a try. So far I am really enjoying this book and that is surprising to me.  It is nothing like the books I choose on my own! Set in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, it is the story of a medical mission, two Indian physicians who marry in order to adopt the twin sons of colleagues. The mother of the twins died in childbirth and the father just abandoned the twins and the mission due to his extreme grief over the loss of the twins mother.  The medical details and the description of life in a  poor but exotic country has drawn me in.

Elsewhere is written by Gabrielle Zevin who wrote one of my favorite books of 2014, The Storied Life of A J Fikry. I ordered it from Paperback Swap as well.  I started it last night and I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep! It details the afterlife of 16 year old Lizzie, who has been killed in a bicycle accident. It reminds me of Lovely Bones with a bit of Mork and Mindy thrown in. That is all I am going to say about that!

And I am reading this book on my Kindle. Two of my nieces recommended this book and it was on sale on Amazon for 99cents on Saturday so I had it delivered to my Kindle.  I have read about three chapters of this book and I must say it speaks to me on a deep level.

I am waiting on a book to arrive in my mailbox, The Hardest Peace by Kara Tippetts. I look forward to reading Kara's book as I have been blessed by reading her blog, Mundane Faithfulness.

I am hoping to finish these books this week and that is an ambitious goal with all that I have going on here at Nanaland. Taking time to read really widens my world and I like that.

4 comments:

Terri D said...

I love to read, but I can't read more than one book at a time. I need to finish one story before moving on to the next one. My books are all in my Kindle library. I have A.J. Firky, but had trouble getting into it. I need to give it another try.

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri I normally read one at a time but sometimes several demand to be read.lol...finished Elsewhere so now I am tackling Cutting for Stone to finish it. It takes brain power to read so that is one reason I have tried to read it slowly. Seems I do not have as much of that lately!:)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll put these on my reading list. I read at night before bed when I'm too tired to do anything else! It's so relaxing! Hugs, Diane

Arlene Grimm said...

I usually read at bedtime too Diane. Sometimes my book falls on the floor...wonder how that happened??lol