Followers

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Soup Weather

Our Sunday School Class had a soup dinner the other night with members bringing chili, taco soup, chicken and dumplings and mushroom soup. You can see the mushroom soup in the pan on the right. I must say that it is the BEST mushroom soup I have ever eaten! It would be a great meal on its' own served with some bread and salad.  My friend, Kris, made the soup and she shared the recipe with me. She got it from a cook book that was published by the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, Florida.  I plan on making a pot just for me!!

Mushroom Soup
1 # fresh mushrooms
6 T butter
1 c chopped onions
1/2 c chopped celery
3 cloves minced garlic
5 T flour
9 c chicken broth
2 c heavy cream
4 T dry Marsala
4 T dry sherry
Salt and pepper to taste
dah nutmeg

Chop 3/4 pound of mushrooms but SLICE the remaining 1/4 pound of mushrooms and set aside.
In a 4 qt saucepan melt butter and add chopped mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until mushrooms are tender. Dust vegetables with 5 T flour and cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer  8 to 10 minutes.

In food processor, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to sauce pan. Stir in cream and cook over low heat for 5 minutes...stirring as the soup thickens. To serve....heat marsala and sherry in a small saucepan, add sliced mushrooms and cook a few minutes until mushrooms are tender. Add wine mixture to soup. Add salt and pepper to taste along with a dash of nutmeg.  Makes 8 to 10 servings!


7 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

What a fun idea. John would just love the mushroom soup.

Arlene Grimm said...

It was so good Mildred...now I just need to figure out where to go and buy my wines. The problems of a non drinker!lol

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That sounds so good and what a nice get together. I've been making a few meals and freezing part of them for later. We made chili one day and quiche another. The frozen servings will be nice another day! Hugs!

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, we are still having temps in the 80s during the day but expecting a cool down this weekend. Soup will surely taste good then! And quiches are some of my favorite meals...any season!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

What a lovely event! I do so love soup and soup weather. This mushroom soup sounds wonderful.

Arlene Grimm said...

Jean...it is addictive!!

Amy Burzese said...

I sure am ready for the first pot of chili when the chilly weather gets here. That mushroom soup sure does sound good. I'm gonna try it!