Followers

Monday, October 27, 2014

Stitchin!

I have been doing counted cross stitch for over 30 years now. My friend, Rebekah Cox, introduced me to the craft when we were friends in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.  As anyone who does needlework can attest, it is a calming exercise that produces a lovely finished product.

I saw this tee shirt online the other day and I had to chuckle.  There is a bit of truth in those words.  Cross stitching helps me to calm down if I am upset, it gives me time to think over problems and I just enjoy doing it! My mother and my mother in law used their needlework to help them get through the long days of care giving when their husbands were in the last stages of life.  My mother produced many pretty embroidered pillowcases while my mother in law crocheted special pieces for her family. My mother in law told me that many of her worries were crocheted into those pieces. I totally understand.

I have been lax in my cross stitching for the past year or so but over the weekend I paid a visit to my favorite cross stitch store, The Cross Stitch Peddler, where I spent some quality time with the owner, Marlene.  I picked out a pretty sampler to do for my nephew who will be getting married soon and I also purchased some fun easy patterns for Christmas.

As you can see I have already started on the sampler. And yes, I have to use a magnifier but it fits easily on my q snaps and helps me to count on that pesky linen!

If you are having a hard time, sit down and create something.... a flower arrangement, a tableau for your coffee table or working in a journal. It will lift your spirits and take you away from whatever storm is brewing in your life.

5 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

You must have such patience. I tried cross stitch but I have such a short attention span that I want results like yesterday. Anyhoo, have a great week!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always loved to cross stitch too. Now I sew or crochet. I like to have a project...or two...going all the time. Enjoy your day sweet friend! Hugs, Diane

Arlene Grimm said...

Tori, it is relaxing for me but I have friends who say it would make them pull their hair out!lol And Diane, I stand in awe of your sewing talents. Creativity comes in all forms!!

Terri D said...

Oh my, I find it anything BUT calming. I get fidgety just thinking about having to count and be careful and count, and count....

I can crochet, but double crochet is my favorite stitch - the faster I can finish, the happier I am.

I have two friends who like close work and produce beautiful pieces. God bless you all who can do it!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I like to crochet as well but I find I cannot keep my tension correct so then I am upset by it.lol...Cross stitch is better for an OCD person like me!!lol