Followers

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Our New Library

Sunday afternoon, the Linda Duran Public Library was opened with a ribbon cutting. Friends Susan, Sharon and I  attended this special event. Priceville is a small but growing community and it is great to see so many services coming our way.  Our mayor, Melvin Duran, officiated over the ribbon cutting and he told the story of  how our library came to be.  The town of Priceville had been given a house in a residential area near the center of town. The city council was unsure of what to do with this property until the mayor's wife, Linda, came up with a plan. She told her husband that if our community was to grow, we must have a library. For years the library lived happily in this small house but with the growth of the town, a new location was needed. And on Sunday, our new facility that is HUGE was opened to the public. What a difference! Thanks to the mayor and city council of Priceville for being so progress minded!

Many came out to see the mayor open the library named for his late wife, Linda.  Our new library is very spacious and offers a computer room, meeting room and a gently used bookstore room that will be a means of raising money to purchase new books for the Linda Duran Public Library.


As we entered the library to sign the guest book, we were reminded of the lady who started it all. Her legacy will live on in Priceville.


True words! Every community needs a library to encourage dreams!



5 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

So true, that every community needs a good library! And now with inter-library loan, one can get just about anything if they're willing to wait a bit. Nice gathering to celebrate. Have a lovely day.

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Judy....I just do not understand people who do not enjoy reading!! A library is essential for me.

Terri D said...

How wonderful that you have a library now! It seems like a great legacy for the Mayor's wife. I work just across the parking lot from our main library and can't tell you how many years it has been since I was inside. I have over 400 books on my Kindle now. Kids today don't know how important a library is and how it was "our Google" back in the day. We actually had to do research the old fashioned way! I'm glad you have a library opening...not a closing!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I have a kindle but i still love holding a book! I think Google is one of my favorite internet sites. If I have a question about anything, I just google!

Cattails said...

This is wonderful!

Be sure to enter the giveaway on my blog.