Followers

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Friday Evening Craft Time

Do you have a lot of Christmas Photo cards from friends and family that you cannot bear to toss in the garbage at the end of the holiday season? Well I have quite a stack of them, going back to the 90s.

I have kept them in a big wooden bowl in my craft room and they mock me every time I look at them. 

Last week I was reading a magazine and came upon an article that addressed my problem. ( I think it might have been in the HGTV magazine for January).  They suggested that you purchase these little things.


Sorry for the poor quality, I was using my cell phone.  Anyway, I found these in packages at Staples. The Book Rings were quite inexpensive...maybe $4 for a package but the little tags were a bit more pricy, $9 for a package of 50 but I will be able to use them for years to come!

Take the little tag, write down the year. Then using a hole puncher, put a hole in the corner of each Christmas photo card. Add your tag to the ring, then add the photos.  You will be able to flip through the photos easily as they are attached to the ring. My husband suggested using reinforcements on the hole but since they will only be available for viewing during the Christmas season, I thought we were ok to go without the bother of reinforcing all the hole punches.

Now I had some old pictures that were from long ago so I sorted them by family. This is a ring for Marvin's brother's family. All these children are grown up now! But I did organize my cards for the last five years by year! 

Once you have your cards organized, put them in a pretty box and set them out during the Christmas season so that family members can look back over the years. It is sure to be a conversation starter! And speaking of walking down memory lane. I had to do a special ring for Nana and Grandpa and all their grands at Christmas.


Here we are with Kendall at her first Christmas.  Oh the years speed by too quickly!!

And lest you think I am Miss Organization....here is what my sofa looked like on Friday evening.


I had quite a mess as I sorted, trimmed and wrote names on the tags. The end result was pleasing however! 

I plan to look for a pretty Christmas box at Hobby Lobby in July when they put out the Christmas decor. And YES, they do put it out as soon as the 4th of July decorations are slashed to 90% off!! I want a big lidded box to hold my treasures and we can have fun looking back over the years and remembering sweet friends and family. 

5 comments:

Terri D said...

That is a great idea!! I just scan in the ones I want to keep and then they get tossed. I love our digital photo frame and have over 100 pictures on it that shuffle all through the day.

Gina said...

Arlene, LOVE that idea on organizing photographs. We have a few boxes of them somewhere.

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, you are so clever!! I never got the hang of those digital picture frames.

Gina, believe me I was glad to have this chore finished. I like to take my time to sit and look at the cards and to read the notes on the back of some of them. I will look forward to a good browse next Christmas.

Cranberry Morning said...

Arlene, that is SUCH a great idea! Thank you for sharing it. I need all the organizational tips I can get! :-)

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Judy! It was easy to do and now I can not feel guilty about all my cards.:)