Followers

Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Favorite Reads of 2014

At the end of the year I look back over my Good Reads list to see which books I enjoyed as well as noting the stinkers! Lots of my friends know I am a Reader and they will ask me to recommend a good book or author and I want to be prepared to answer them. Here is my list...I chose 12 this year.

1. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
    This book was my absolute favorite this year. I do think having a medical background of some sort
     makes this book more enjoyable. I recommended it to my nephew who is an OB GYN doc.
2.The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Ok, I laughed and I cried as I read this book that honestly explores the lives of two star crossed
    lovers who know that they will not have a long future together. The movie made of this novel is
    excellent.
3.The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
   Ms Morton is my favorite modern novelist. If she puts out a new book this year I will be very happy.
4.The Mockingbird Next Door by Marja Mills
   This book is not only a story about a friendship with the elusive author, Harper Lee, but it is also
   about life in Alabama and some of the disappearing charm of life south of the Mason Dixon.
   Harper Lee reminded me of my grandmothers and great aunts...a true old Southern Lady.
5.The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    What an interesting book about a circus that appears magically outside of towns at sundown. I am
     not a big fantasy reader but this one was charming.
6.The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
    Even though this book is targeted for young adult readers, I loved it. A tender sweet story that will
    lift your spirits.
7.The Storied Life of A J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
   Ms Zevin is my favorite new( to me) author. I have read three of her novels and enjoyed each of
   them.
8.The Giver by Lois Lowry
    An older dystopian book but very thought provoking!
9.The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood
    This was my first four star book of 2014. An interesting topic to be sure.
10. The Hardest Peace by Kara Tippetts.
    I began reading Kara's blog this year and when her book was published I knew I had to buy a copy
    for my personal library. Kara writes transparently about what it is like to find yourself looking
    eternity in the face as a Believer.
11. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
      Queen Elizabeth II takes a wrong turn on the Palace Grounds and finds herself at the Bookmobile
      or Lending Library as it is called in England.
12. Mr Rosenblum Dreams in English by Natasha Solomons
     A charming story of a man who longs to be English in every way.

I do not usually post on Sundays but tomorrow is looking busy with getting back into my regular routine so I decided to take a moment to post today. Do you have any book recommendations for me? I would love to hear from you!!

6 comments:

Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

The Hardest Peace is our only overlap. I'd like to read The Giver too!

Arlene Grimm said...

The Giver was ahead of its time Jenn....and the movie was good as well.

Mrs R said...

You have an excellent list and thank you for the suggestions. I am just starting Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. Loved the movie!

Tori Leslie said...

This is a great list and since I have a $30 amazon card I'm May try some of these, thank!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mre R, my husband read Unbroken but after he told me about it I was not sure I could read it. The scenes in the prison camp almost did me in just hearing about it. I told him I would go to the movie with him if he wanted me to go. He went with me to see Mockingjay!!

Tori, those Amazon cards burn a hole in my pocket. My next purchase will be The Mockingbird Next Door. I got the book at the library and now I want it for my own library.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm going to jot these down in my journal today. I haven't read as much the past couple of weeks and I've missed it! Hugs!