Followers

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Please Look After This Bear

Well who would not want to look after this sweet bear? I was so happy to see this movie with my grands, Kendall, Landon and Margaret.  We were all enchanted by Paddington. It is the perfect Nana movie.

From the wilds of dark Peru ( I had no idea that there were dark wilds in Peru!) came this little bear. His parents died when he was a little bear so he was raised by his aunt and uncle who, in their youth, had met an explorer from London. The Explorer introduced them to marmalade and all things English. He promised the bears that if they ever came to London, they would receive a warm welcome from his family.  So Paddington stows away on a boat to England and sustains himself with marmalade on the voyage.

Arriving in London, it does not appear to be the happy, friendly place that the Explorer had told the bears about but Paddington does not lose hope. By the way, Paddington's original name was in Bear language.  The Brown family take him in and give him the name Paddington for the train station where they found him looking for a home.

Of course the kiddos loved all the havoc that Paddington wreaked on the Brown Home but they also enjoyed the rest of the story of the need everyone has for someone to love them.  And the Grands learned you should always keep a marmalade sandwich in your hat for emergencies!

The adults will enjoy the English actors they are familiar with such as Lord Grantham( Hugh Bonneville) from Downton Abbey who does a great job portraying the grumpy Mr Brown. One of my favorite Britcom actors, Geoffrey Palmer (Lionel Hardcastle from As Time Goes By) made a cameo appearance and it took me a while to figure out that Mr Brown's aunt was Molly Weasley( Julie Walters) from the Harry Potter movies.  Nicole Kidman plays the Scary Daughter of the Explorer and she is very good at being evil.  If you are a sucker for all things British like I am, you will enjoy the British Accents and all the sights of London.

There were no overt scary moments so even my five year old granddaughter enjoyed the movie without becoming frightened. This is a movie that I will be purchasing for my collection as I know I would like to enjoy this movie for years to come.

6 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Okay, now I've GOT to see this! I love Hugh Bonneville and Geoffrey Palmer. Hugh Bonneville is in another cute kid movie, 'Mr. Stink' that I found on Amazon instant. You and the grands would love it, I bet. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Terri D said...

Thanks for the great review!! We enjoy some of the movies made for kids, and this one sounds like a winner! I'll watch for it to hit "On Demand" or Netflix.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll put it on my list to see! I know I would love it! Hugs, Diane

Debby said...

I saw your post on Diana's sidebar.
So funny as I just posted about the movie. Wasn't it just a nice movie. We liked it to.
Signing up to follow you.

Arlene Grimm said...

We are still talking about Paddington today so that is a sign of a good movie. I hope you all enjoy it.

Gina said...

This movie does look cute. Thank you for the review! When I saw the preview, I thought - that poor little bear needs fattening up!

You and your friends are cordially invited to my sweet giveaway:
http://www.thegentleartofhomemaking.com/2015/01/a-sweet-little-giveaway-mother-natures.html