Followers

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

An Evening with Mr Lightfoot

My Valentine purchased tickets for us to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert in Huntsville. So last night we bundled up and drove to the Von Braun Civic Center for the eight o'clock concert.  Marvin and I had to laugh as we entered the concert hall....the baby boomers were out in force! There were a few younger people there but for the most part it was the Geritol crowd as my sweet husband put it!  There was still a bit of spark in us as we clapped and hooted for our favorite songs.

Gordon Lightfoot was one of our favorite performers when we were dating. So when he sang, Beautiful, we held hands and remembered the good ole days. It was "our song". Of course he did The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and If You Could Read My Mind...probably his best known songs. I am going to be honest and say that his voice at age 76 is not what it was when he was younger but I will give credit to anyone who can still tour and give 2 hour concerts at his age.

In 2002, he suffered a ruptured aortic aneurysm and was in a coma for six weeks, in the hospital for three months. In 2006 he suffered a minor stroke and had to do much rehab to be able to play his guitar again. My hat is off to you Gordon Lightfoot! And several years ago on his way home from a dental appointment, he heard on the radio that he had died.:) He quickly put that rumor to rest.

It is good to think back to your younger days, things have changed in 38 years but the memories are sweet!!

I have a guest post on Kindred Hearts Cafe today. Please stop by and visit this fun blog where kindred hearts gather to visit.

8 comments:

Terri D said...

I'm sure it was a great concert!! Sad to hear about our favorite performers getting old, though. They age....and we don't (ha!).

Glad you had a nice time!

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Terri, I thought the same thing.lol...He will always be a special performer to me.

Mrs.T said...

What fun. I have always enjoyed listening to Gordon Lightfoot. Guess that marks me well as a member of the Geritol crowd! What a treat to see him in concert.

Linda said...

How fun! I'm off to visit your guest post now!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Linda!! Mrs T...if you get a chance to go to one of his concerts I think you will enjoy it. We Geritol Crowd must stick together.:)

Gina said...

Arlene, I just love the tone of his voice. I didn't realize he'd been in a coma etc. Poor thing!

Debby said...

I have noticed other aging singers that don't sound the same. Even Paul McCartney. But, I agree, at least they are out there trying to please their fans. It was probably a great night out one way or another.

Arlene Grimm said...

Gina, his story is truly amazing. Debby, it is sad that voices do not hold up well but memories do so I just tried to hear his "old" voice in my head!!