Followers

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Reading

One of my friends who loves reading as much as I do posted this on her Facebook Wall today.  I have set a goal to read 100 books this year on Goodreads. I made it to 82 last year.  Reading is one of the things that makes life so wonderful in my opinion.

Final Gifts is a book I just completed reading.  The last two years have brought the deaths of several dear ones and I have to admit that loss is hard. In addition to the deaths, several friends are facing the end stages of life on this earth. I was chatting online with an old nursing school friend and she recommended this book to me.  Written by two Hospice nurses, the book brings clarity to the business of dying. I wish I had read it two years ago! It is hard to know what to say and what to do for the dying. This book really opened my eyes to ways to look at the things the dying have to teach us.  One of the Hospice nurses likened her job to maternity nurses. Maternity nurses welcome babies into this world while Hospice nurses aid patients on their way out of the world.  As a believer I know my eternal destiny but it is part of our old human nature to fear the act of death. We are all fearful of the unknown and death is certainly the last adventure.  Another nurse friend of mine suggested I read the book, Sunsets, Reflections on Life's Final Journey by Deborah Howard and D.A. Carson.  It is on my Amazon Wish List.  As I read Final Gifts, it reminded me of my days as a nurse and how nurses have the opportunity to make a real difference for patients.

Now I am reading The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien. I know! How have I  made it to almost 60 years old without reading this book that I have heard so much about? It is a favorite of my husband and son, Charles.( I was never a big fantasy reader until recent years.)  I am giving it  a whirl....so far I am enjoying the cleverness in the writing of Mr Tolkien.

I am posting this evening because I am off to have coffee with my friend, Maggie, early in the am. We are both busy Nanas and we have to take advantage of the early morning hours to visit. She is also a voracious reader so we always spend some time discussing the books we have read recently.  I am going to enjoy Love of Reading Month!!

5 comments:

Terri D said...

I love to read, too! I'll have to look for "Final Gifts". Hope you are enjoying breakfast with your friend!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, it was very helpful to me. It is an old book so you may have to "hunt" for it! I am sharing it with several of my friends.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I didn't know this. I have not been reading as much but plan to 'step it up' this month! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

Gina said...

Arlene, I love the Hobbit and the Trilogy of the Rings. So much better than the movies. Enjoy the adventure!

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, it is amazing to me that every month and every day has a "theme" now!!lol Gina, I am at the part of the book where Bilbo is swapping riddles with Gollum. Marvin has the first two movies in the Hobbit trilogy of movies but I am going to wait until I have finished the book to indulge. I did watch the first Rings movie but it was so violent I did not watch the other two. Maybe I will tackle the books when I finish the Hobbit.