Followers

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Cheese Straws

In the South, Cheese Straws are a Party MUST.  If you do not know how to make them you will pay a pretty penny to have someone else make them for you! I have long wanted to learn to make these tasty treats but finally got up the courage yesterday to give them a try. I do have to say that you need a good mixer and my new one was perfect for the job! You will also need a cookie press. Sis Kristi had given me one for Christmas a year ago just for this purpose and it was just sitting on the shelf in my pantry.

I was pleased with my first effort but feel the next batch will be even better now that I know what I am doing.  Here is the recipe...

8 oz of sharp cheddar( I bought the block kind, let it sit on the counter and then grated it)
1/4 c soft butter( I used Margarine as it was all I had on hand and it was fine)
1 c All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp sale
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper( My family said they were not hot enough so I will add a bit more next time)

Preheat oven to 350

Combine butter and cheese and beat until it mixes together.
In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper and whisk together. Add slowly to the cheese mixture. Now this is where you have to let it beat a while in the mixer and I am so thankful for my Kitchen Aid that mixes on its own without me having to push the bowl around like I would have on my old stand mixer.  After it beats for a while, the dough will begin to smooth out and form a ball, similar to dough.

Put the dough in the cookie press. Mine was a Wilton and it worked great.  My cookie press says to avoid using parchment paper when using this press so I used my big non stick cookie sheet. You will place your cookie press parallel to the cookie sheet and pull back. There will be a long ribbon of dough. I just used a knife to cut the pieces apart and I placed the cheese straws fairly close together on the tray. They do not rise so you have room.  Place in oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. It took about 30 minutes for mine to become crispy, which is how I like them.

I am taking my batch of cheese straws to Baylor's birthday party but now that I know how easy they are to do, I will be making them for special occasions.

11 comments:

Victoria Stankus said...

I've never heard of them before! Interesting!

Terri D said...

They sound and look delicious! Thanks for the recipe and instructions!

Arlene said...

You are welcome...if you like HOT things I would make the cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp!! That is what I will try next time.lol

CatTales said...

I love these! I remember they were served at our wedding reception and the caterer prepared a little "to go" bag for our drive to Asheville NC. We were so thirsty after eating cheese straws on that long drive!

doodles n daydreams said...

Oh yum - I haven't had cheese straws for about 30 years. Yours look very tasty.

Diana

Arlene said...

Mildred, I love hot cheese straws and a small bottle of Coca Cola, a true Southern treat. Diana, I usually buy these treats at a local bakery but now I am going to make my own!

Mrs R said...

Arlene, I've never had cheese straws before. Your recipe does sound tempting!

Arlene said...

Gina, they are addictive...make at your own risk.

Karen said...

Yes - I remember having yummy cheese straws at bridal showers and wedding receptions in GA. The plate in your photo looks like plated my mother-in-law had - very pretty.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I have to tell you that all the boys in the Baptist Student Union when I was at GSU were crazy about those Georgia Baptist nursing students.

Arlene said...

Karen, that plate is Desert Rose by Franciscan. It is an old fashioned pattern but one that I dearly love. I have an addiction to dinnerware!lol

Whitney Pendell said...

Yum! I love cheese straws! My mom has that china pattern too, it's so pretty. :)