Followers

Monday, March 2, 2015

Goodbye Until Next Year

And by that I mean Goodbye Downton Abbey! For five years now many of us have tuned in to Julian Fellowes' series about the Crawley family and we are addicted to this modern day soap opera. I am sad to hear the rumors that Season Six will be the final season for this series.

So what did you think about last night's finale? I was afraid that Robert was going to drop dead on the shooting range so I was glad to find out that he had an ulcer and not a wonky heart!   I am always happy when Robert and Cora are happy.  And what about that Barrow? He continues to make trouble although I have to admit I was rather happy to see Rose's father in law put on the spot with the arrival of the unexpected visitor, Diana and her young son.  I was never a big fan of Rose until this season. Her character seems to have matured greatly since last season.  I was touched as Robert goes to Edith and lovingly confronts her about Marigold. I am glad her family is supportive and Edith seems so much more confident and loving as she now has Marigold in her life.  Prickly Mary...seems she may have found a new suitor.  Speaking of suitors...this season has really focused on the older generation. Lady Violet does have a Past but it was good to hear her state that she made the right decision by staying with her husband and children rather than running off with the Russian Prince. Poor Isobel. She really loves Dickie but she does not need the stress of being the wicked step mother. I hope things might still work out for them in the next season.( Could both sons die in a tragic accident???)  And finally the Anna and Bates problem seems to be at an end. I surely hope so. I think we had enough prison drama with Bates. I will miss Tom and Sibby but life moves on and Tom feels his future is in America.  And saving the best for last...Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes! I think the whole Downton audience has been rooting for these two to get married.  I know their plans for a bed and breakfast will be successful. It just seems that these characters have become friends to me via Masterpiece Theater.

A rainy week here but it seems spring might be arriving after all. One more cold day on Thursday but it should be nice after that! And we spring forward on the weekend.  Another sign that winter is on its way out. I am thinking I might just get out my Spring/Easter decorations this week and brighten up my home. Pictures to come!

8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What excellent points you've made. I added a link to your blog on my post this morning. It's fun to chat about the shows. Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Oh thanks for that little update on the show. I loved this season and I felt like it went so fast! I am sad and will miss it so much and do hope that next season is not the last of it.
Julie

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes this was one of my favorite seasons....I think I can tell that Mr Fellowes is winding everything down. I just hope he ties up all the loose ends in a pretty package. And Diane, thanks for the link!!

Terri D said...

It was, indeed, one of the best seasons for Downton. I hope the Mr. Green/Bates thing is over, but it does feel like there won't be an end to it until next season. So happy for all the happenings "downstairs". I will miss them this year!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I will be counting down the days until January!:)

CatTales said...

We had a mostly sunny day and somehow missed the rain! It was 72! I look forward to spring and daylight in the evenings!

Cranberry Morning said...

Great synopsis! I'm still hoping for Mary (to become a nicer person) and Tom to get together and for somehow Michael Gregson to reappear and reunite with Edith. Is this too much to ask of Julian Fellowes?? LOL

Arlene Grimm said...

Judy, I really see Edith coming into her own. I see her running Mr Gregson's business and raising Marigold. In some ways I think she is a stronger woman than her sister, Mary.