Followers

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Laura Ingalls...A Pioneer Girl

I do not know about you but when I was a young girl, I LOVED the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. If I could not find something to read at the library I would check out an old favorite by Mrs Wilder. Now I have a set at home that I can peruse whenever I wish to visit the Prairie. When the tv show appeared on NBC, I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Mary and Laura looked as I had pictured them...Ma was gentle and kind as in the book but Pa( Michael Landon) called her Carolyn not Caroline as I had called her in my head as I read the books. Also..Michael Landon as Pa? He would not be cast in my version. Frankly the man who played Mr Edwards looked more like Pa as Laura described him in her books.  Books are just better as you can picture the scene in your mind without the help of Hollywood.

When I first read news releases concerning Pioneer Girl, An Annotated Biography, I knew I would be first in line at the library to get a look at it. Well believe it or not, our small Priceville Library had it on the shelf when I went for my weekly visit to the library. Thank you Paula!( our librarian is excellent at getting the books the readers are interested in!!).

Isn't the cover beautiful? Be honest, pretty covers lure readers all the time!! This book was published by the South Dakota Historical Society and they only published 15,000 in their first printing. They just did not think it would sell! But sell like hot cakes it did and many readers are awaiting their copy from the April 2015 printing. I may have to purchase it to go with my collection. The editor of the book is Ms Pam Smith Hill. She did so much research on this book. It is amazing.

I love all the photos and the notes about life on the Prairie back then. This is a young ma and pa.


The first three sisters.


Laura..she was quite pretty for that day and time.

Almanzo who was ten years older than Laura but they seemed to be made for each other.

You can see that the annotation takes up quite a bit of space. You will see it on the left.

This is the house and the desk where Laura wrote her little story.

This is the home that Rose Wilder built for her parents...one of the reasons she ran out of money! She built a very nice home for Laura and Almanzo and she took over the farm house.  Laura's money for her Little House books came just at the right time. Even though the first Little House book was released during the Depression, people purchased the children's book.

This book is one to be enjoyed for years. It is not really a book that you sit down and just inhale!! And you will be a bit disappointed to find out that Laura painted a pretty picture of her life growing up when in reality, it was not so rosy. Her books were fiction so she added stories and took away some of the grittier reality. Pioneer Girl was just one book that spanned Laura's life time and it was shopped around to publishers with no takers. Laura, with Rose's help, turned Pioneer Girl into a series of books that are still treasured today.  If you are a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan, then you will want to read this gem.

11 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I didn't even know about this book! Thank you for the review and the photos this morning, Arlene! Laura's 'Little House in the Big Woods' was in Wisconsin at Pepin. And here I was this morning, before reading your post, thinking about thinning my library of a few thousand. Fat chance! Maybe I need to get rid of some to make room for more. LOL It is the toughest job ever.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I haven't heard about it either. I'll definitely look for it. I've enjoyed these stories for years and so did my kids. Thanks for mentioning it. Do you go to Laura Ingalls Gunn's blog? Sweet hugs, Diane

Arlene said...

Oh Judy...let's just build more bookcases!! And Diane, I have not heard of that blog...going there now!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I really enjoyed this post and finding out about this new book! I'm a big fan of Laura Wilder's. I've been to her house that you have shown here, actually we toured both houses in Mansfield, Mo. The older house that she moved back to, even though the other one was more modern, is very charming and I can see why she loved it and wanted to move back. It was home. I can't wait to go back and see it again.
When I read the stories of how Rose actually wrote the books, I didn't know what to think. Eventually, I decided that maybe Rose did help, but they were still Laura's stories and I think of her as the true author.

Arlene said...

Cheryl, I agree, Laura was the author and Rose was the editor. However it was pointed out that Rose wrote two adult novels based on some of Laura's stories. Now I am going to have to see if i can find them.

Gina said...

Arlene, I am trying so hard not to buy anything until we move but I think I will order this on Amazon as soon as we close the deal! I am excited to read the book and look at the pictures. Almanzo looks very handsome there.

Terri D said...

How interesting! I never read those books, but did enjoy it on TV. I agree with you about the books always being better, though. I'm happy to learn about this new book!!

Mildred said...

I am a fan and sis, Karen, is a huge fan. Thanks for sharing this. By the way, have your ever visited Laura Ingalls Gunn's blog, entitled D├ęcor To Adore? She is a relative.

Victoria Stankus said...

Thanks for this review! I have heard about this book, but haven't read it yet. It looks very interesting. I have enjoyed the Little House books, as well as the TV series. I know the series is only based on the books and a lot of things are different, but it is such a good, wholesome show. I grew up watching it, and still enjoy the reruns today. :)

Arlene said...

Gina...I totally understand your desire for this book!! It is worth the price!! Terri, you need to read the Little House books, they are so much better than the tv series. When the family lives through the Long Winter, I almost shout with happiness when the train gets through with food.Mildred, Karen shared that blogger with me and of course I had to check her out. How amazing to have an ancestor like Laura Ingalls Wilder.Victoria, I am thinking of getting out my Little House Books and reading them again for old times sake! So glad this review brought so much conversation. But then most of my blog friends like the things I like so I am not really surprised by this!

Jazzmin said...

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed your thoughts on this book. I was sent here by a lovely blogging friend, Mildred from Cat Tales :) I posted about Laura Ingalls Wilder recently and she left me a link to your blog to read about this new book. It sounds like an enthralling read for a L.I.W fan and one who wants to get a deeper look into her real life. Thank you for the beautiful descriptions of this book. That is so wonderful your library had it for you. I live in a small town with a small library too, so I hope that they might have it. I am looking forward to reading this so much after reading your post.

Blessings to you!
~Jazzmin