Followers

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Honoring Mothers

In honor of Mothers Day on Sunday, I thought I would take this week to honor some of the mamas in my life.  With the impending birth of baby Audrey, it makes me think of the mothers through the ages in my family.  I once saw a cross stitch that was called a Mother's Tree and it was so neat as it listed all the mothers in an individual line. I can name my Mother's line back to the early 1800s before it goes cold.

This is a picture of me with my mother, Marjorie and my grandmother, Lena.  Don't you love my little faux hawk???  Of course that was the style for babies of the 1950s.

My grandmother was a quiet woman. She was not very effusive or huggy but she let us play with our dolls, giving them baths and making them clothes out of scraps of fabric.  A snack at her house was popcorn, graham cracker and your own glass of grape Kool aid.  She was widowed in her early 60s and later came to live in a mobile home on my parent's property. My own children loved to go to "MawMaw"'s house where they ate candy to their heart's content and happily watched tv with her.  I am so glad they knew their great grandmother well.

My own mother was typical of her time...she cooked breakfast every morning and a hot supper was on the table when Daddy got home from work just after five o'clock. She made all our clothes, even pjs. I can remember looking at the Sears and Roebuck catalog with her as we decided which material to order for dresses and pajamas. This was before we had a local fabric store.  She valued education and would have attended college except it was out of her budget.  She helped us with our homework and took school very seriously.  When I had my own children she would keep them for one week each summer so I could have a break.  That helped me so much!!  There is no way I could ever repay her for what she has done for me.

Tomorrow I will share another mother story about my paternal grandmother and great grandmothers. It makes me happy just to think of them, though they have been gone many years now.

4 comments:

Terri D said...

Those of us blessed with such great moms and role models are so lucky!! I love this tribute you wrote and look forward to learning more tomorrow!

Gina said...

Love your reminiscing! And that picture of you is adorable! Did you have a barrette in your hair?

Karen said...

I loved reading your story and could identify with many things. One of my favorite memories is playing with the scraps of material and grandmother helping me make doll clothes and a cloth purse. Looking forward to your next story and also to the new baby!

Arlene said...

Terri I am truly blessed by all the moms in my life. Gina, my hair was rolled up in a curl on top of my head like a lot of babies wore back in the day!! It does look like a faux hawk!:) Karen, I hope I am making those same kinds of memories with my grands!!