Followers

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mother in Love

Mention the word, mother in law, and you will get many different reactions. Most of them are less than polite. But in the mother in law lottery I was a winner! My husband's mother, Saramina Grimm, was like a mother to me. Born in Savannah, Georgia, she had a sweet southern accent. I can still hear her saying, 'What do you need darlin?" to her grandchildren.  The oldest of two sisters she grew up in a house full of women. Her parents were divorced in a day when that was not the norm. She lived with her mother and two of her great aunts. The great aunts had gone through the Civil War so when a young soldier from Minnesota came calling, they were leery. He was a Yankee! After WW2 had ended, Saramina married Marvin and they went on to have six children. I married her oldest son.

She was always gracious to me, coming to stay with me when I had my children, taking care of me, the kiddos and my Marvin. She was always up to go shopping and could outlast me in the browsing department.  I cross stitched, she crocheted and we both loved learning new crafts. When her health was failing, I had the opportunity to spend the night with her in the hospital. On the evening she passed away, I was at the bedside with the rest of the family. She had a big impact on me and was such an example of sacrificial love.

It has been a week of reflection for me, thinking of the mothers who have left their mark on my life. I am so thankful for each one of them.

8 comments:

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Arlene, what a sweet tribute to your mother-in-law! I, too, had a wonderful MIL and miss her so much.

Arlene said...

Jean, every time we have a new grandchild, I feel like I should call her and tell her about it. I miss her so. It is good to know that these sweet women live on in our hearts.

Terri D said...

I have been blessed in the mother-in-law department too. I've had two who were both wonderful to me. When I got divorced, after 10 years of marriage, I hated losing his parents more than him! I really miss Joe's mom. We had so much fun when she would come for a couple of months in the winter (from Pennsylvania). She actually died in my arms. I was holding her when she took her last breath. In retrospect, it was a beautiful moment.

Arlene said...

I hear about so many "bad" mother in laws and I am glad I cannot relate!! We have had a few divorces in our family where we wanted to keep the non family member as well Terri!:)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow this is such a nice tribute to your mother in law! How nice to have had that relationship with her. I never knew mine since she died a long time ago! Wishing you a nice Friday & Happy Mothers Day!
Julie xo

Gina said...

You hit the jackpot with your mother-in-law! :-)

Karen said...

What a wonderful mother in law. Happy Mother's Day to you.

Arlene said...

Thank you for your sweet comments. I was truly blessed.