Followers

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Library of Unrequited Love

I picked up this small book at the library the other day. Any book about libraries captures my attention. When I read the introduction to the book I was hooked.

To all those men and women who will always a place for themselves in a library, more easily than society, I dedicate this entertainment.  Sophie Divry, author of The Library of Unrequited Love.

The story opens as the librarian who reigns supreme over the Geography section in the basement of a library in France, comes upon a patron who has been locked in the library overnight.  On the discovery of a captive audience, the librarian begins to relate to the man all her thoughts on libraries, readers and life in general. It is a gentle rant that brought many a smile to my face as I read the book. Only 92 pages long, with no chapters it is an easy read.

One of the things I most enjoy about being a "reader" is the tidbits of information that I come upon. In this book, I discovered a French citizen by the name of Eugene Morel. Monsieur Morel was a man who had ideas about changing libraries from a palace of learning to a place for readers of all ages and interests. Morel felt that libraries should be made more comfortable and well lit to entice readers inside! But the thing I liked most about Eugene Morel is his last name. My husband's grandmother was a Morel who has French roots! I had to wonder if Eugene might be a distant cousin!!

If you enjoy libraries, you will get a kick out of this small gem.

4 comments:

Mildred said...

Sounds like a good little book. Funny thing, my blog friend MadSnapper posted about their library in FL this a.m. It was closed for 3 mos. and has reopened brighter and better and is AMAZING!

Arlene said...

I would be very sad if I did not have access to a library!! Since I was a little girl it has been my habit to go once a week and check out books. I guess I never stopped to think that at one time, libraries in Europe were not open to the Hoi Polloi as the librarian in the book so succinctly put it!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How neat. I'll look for this book. I love libraries and visit just about ever week. Hugs, Diane

Arlene said...

Diane, I am so glad there are libraries! I am glad my mom started me out with regular visits to the library.