Followers

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Enchilada Dinner in a Crock Pot

It is extremely hot here this week and for those of us who do not want to heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven, here is a great recipe. I got this from my friend, Melinda, who lives in Las Vegas. She reports that it is a furnace there this week! When you live in the hot desert, you learn to keep your home as cool as possible. Melinda says she uses this recipe quite a bit and I can see why. It is delicious! She served this dish along with green beans and fruit on the evening we arrived for our visit with the Johnsons.

Enchilada Dinner
1 # lean ground beef
1 small onion chopped (approximately 1/3 c)
1 clove garlic chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 4.5 oz can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
1 10 oz can Old El Paso Enchilada sauce
10 six inch corn tortillas( Melinda says she prefers the flour tortillas after making the casserole both ways!)
3 c shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
Paprika
chopped fresh cilantro

In a 10" skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium high heat. Drain. Stir in soup and chilies.
Spray crock pot with Pam cooking spray.
Spread  1/4 enchilada sauce in bottom of crock pot. Place four tortillas on top, overlapping.
Top with 1/4 beef mixture.
Drizzle 1/4 enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat twice. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with paprika and fresh cilantro if desired.

Since everything is cooked before it goes into the crock pot, I think you could just cook it until the cheese is melted and then serve it.  I think you could also change this up a bit by using shredded chicken instead of beef. I love a recipe that is easy and versatile!


4 comments:

Mildred said...

Hi Arlene, Thank you and Melinda for this recipe. I have been trying not to heat up the kitchen as our temps have been near 100 the past few days. We love Mexican food! Wishing you a nice day.

Terri D said...

This really does sound good! I love Mexican food!

Arlene said...

You are both welcome...I love anything Mexican as well!!

Gina said...

Oh my! That sounds delicious, Arlene! I recently made chili with a can of store brand green chills and it just wasn't as good as one of the big name brands. I love enchiladas!