Followers

Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Cross Stitch Peddler

This is the name of our local cross stitch store which is owned by the ever sweet and personable, Marlene.  This little store is a treasure trove for those of us who love to cross stitch. Marlene holds classes and some sit and stitch times for her customers and many people drive from all over North Central Alabama just to visit her store. I love to cross stitch but I am not one of these speedy stitchers therefore I am not a regular at the Peddler, so I am glad there are enough stitchers to keep Marlene in business. I can look at patterns and books online but there is nothing like seeing the pattern all stitched up and framed to make me itch to get a needle in my hand.

As you can see, her store is filled with treasures.

A lot of time and effort goes into stitching up sample pieces.

The pretty table where classes are held and ladies love to sit and stitch.

I can never resist a look at all the pattern books, especially the newest ones. The Prairie Schooler is my favorite pattern maker.

A future project for me!! I am thinking it would make a pretty pillow for the summer time.

My latest effort which is off to the framer today.

This was the UFO( unfinished object) that I completed yesterday. It was almost done but I had neglected to finish up. It will go to the framer today as well.  I like to display seasonal cross stitch around my house!!

These days I have to use a clip on magnifier to work on my cross stitch but it is worth it to me. Counting and stitching really calms me down and focus on the work at hand.  It makes those pesky worries and silly thoughts drift right out of my brain!! My sweet Mother in Law always said that she crocheted her worries away!! I say amen to that. The world might be a better place if we all did a bit of handwork!!

11 comments:

Mildred said...

I always loved to cross stitch but essential tremor makes it impossible now. I do love shops like this and they are few and far between now. You did such a lovely job on Audrey's birth sampler and I love the Halloween piece. Please show us the framed projects when you get them back.

Arlene said...

I will Mildred...bless your heart! That is unfortunate. If I could not cross stitch, I am not sure what other craft I would take up. At least reading is always an option...my second favorite occupation.

Terri D said...

I so envy those of you who have the patience to do that kind of beautiful hand work! I have a very good friend who is such an expert the backs of hers look almost as good as the fronts. I can't even do those plastic canvas things!! It looks like a wonderful store and she is lucky to have you as a good customer!

Arlene said...

Terri, I will not post the back of mine as it leaves much to be desired. I have seen some of those pretty backs. That is a true artist and type A perfectionist!! I just picked up thread to start my Thanksgiving project. I am on a roll!!

Karen said...

I enjoyed the tour of the shop. Your piece will be a lovely keepsake for Audrey!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I never tried cross stitching before but I sure love yours that you made! Have a wonderful day and weekend!

Arlene said...

Thanks Karen and Julie....

Gina said...

Amen! I am not very good a needlepoint or cross stitch but I do find that crocheting or knitting does calm me. I LOVE your handiwork! And that store looks so cute! I can imagine how warm and cozy it must be with all the ladies gathered around.

Since I've moved, I've moved! http://www.myhearthstonecottage.com

:-)

Arlene said...

Gina, I started a new piece this evening!! I am in a cross stitching mood as it is so hot here that we cannot really get outside!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always loved doing cross stitch but now I do smaller embroidery projects. I sure love the Halloween design. My grandmother was always working on several projects at once...always busy. I like doing a lot of different sewing projects too. Wish I still had enough thread to do cross stitch. Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

Arlene said...

My 85 yo mother still embroiders pillowcases. I love them!! I have to rotate out my cross stitch projects Diane because I just have too many but I cannot help myself.lol