Followers

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Stream

After my great vacation, I am finding it hard to come up with ideas for a post so today I will go with The Stream.  There are a lot of little things floating about in my brain!

1. This morning I opened my email to find a note from a high school friend who reads my blog. Her words were so kind and it really reminded me of why I blog. I have kept up with old friends and I have made new friends from all sorts of places like Australia and Croatia!!  Each of my readers is special to me. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

2. I was saddened to hear of the death of Elisabeth Elliot. She was one of my Christian Lady role models. Her strength to endure hard times while remaining faithful to God is such a testimony. If you do not know her story, her husband, Jim Elliot was martyred by the Auca Indians in the 1950s. He along with Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Peter Fleming and Roger Youdarian gave their lives to spread the Gospel. One of my nursing school friends was an MK and her dad was one of the Missionary Pilots who went to Ecuador to take up the job of the late Nate Saint. It is a small world we live in.

3.I am into making Peg People. I first became aware of these little people through one of my Catholic mom friends. To teach their children about the saints, the moms take wooden pegs and paint them to look like a particular saint.  On that saint's day, the peg "saint" is placed in a prominent place in the home and the child learns all about that hero of the faith.  I began looking at Etsy to see what kinds of peg people were available there. Oh my...there are all sorts of peg people, wedding cake toppers, cartoon peg people ...even some for Peppa Pig which is one of the favorite tv shows enjoyed by granddaughter, Margaret. Baylor my little grandson who is on the spectrum, loves Yo Gabba Gabba so I painted some peg people to represent DJ Rock and all his friends. I plan to take them to him this weekend. Now I am addicted. I have a feeling we will be making a lot of peg people here this summer. You can get 8 peg people at Hobby Lobby for $4.  You can also buy them from Etsy in all shapes and sizes. I will be posting some photos of our efforts!

4. Fitbit update....I am still loving my Fitbit! It has helped me to see just how much I need to work at losing some weight. Unfortunately as we age, our metabolisms age as well! It takes so much effort to exercise and discipline to push back from the table these days.  I get a little thrill when my fit bit buzzes letting me know I have reached my goal for the day. Right now I have moved up to 9,000 steps a day and soon I will inch up to 10,000.

5. Well summer is here in No Ala!! It is in the mid 90s and the humidity is HIGH! For people with curly hair like me, the frizzies are back. That is one thing I loved about the desert...no humdity and so many good hair days.( No need to use a flat iron!).  On the plus side, I am thankful for some of Marvin's work friends who are bringing in their extra garden gleanings to share! Marvin brought home a bag of pretty yellow squash yesterday! As a former farm girl, I know how much work goes into those gardens.

6. I just have one grand with me today. Landon is with friends so it is just Kendall and me. She is going to paint a peg person later! We are also heading to the library. Kendall has found a book series there that she likes. As for me, I am reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory and I found the mini series, The White Queen, at our Decatur library so I will be watching that once I finish the novel.

Hope all of you have a great day. Stay cool!!


14 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene, I enjoyed reading about the things that you enjoy! I am glad we are blog friends too! Boy does it sound really hot there, so stay cool and enjoy your day and the week!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's HOT here in Florida! Supposed to be 99 today! SHISH!!! I love the Phillipa Gregory books and have read several of them. I'm not sure about watching the movies though. I wonder if they will be nearly as good. Enjoy your day! Hugs!

Arlene said...

Julie, I am sitting in my chair under the ceiling fan. We will stay inside today!! I did get up and walk at six am before it gets too hot. Diane, I saw the movie, The Other Boleyn Girl and it was very faithful to the book so I liked that. I just picked up Wild at the Library.The movie that is, I read the book. I hope the movie is as good as the book. I will review it on the blog. When do you head to NC?

Mildred said...

Have fun this afternoon painting the peg people. That's a cute idea.
Your fresh veggies make me hungry just hearing about them!
I appreciate both these author reviews.

Arlene said...

Mildred, Kendall is loving being an only grand today!! She has the upstairs to herself.:)

Karen said...

I had not heard about Elisabeth Elliot. I read her books and even listened to her comments on a Christian radio station when I was a young wife/mom. An amazing testimony!

Terri D said...

I am looking forward to seeing your Peg People! I've never heard of them before so will be educated....

Loved your post!!

Debby said...

I love making pegs. I have pictures on my blog. I'd love to see yours. Be careful with the wee ones as they can be choking hazards.
We are just home from our vacation as well.
It's crazy hot outside everywhere.

Arlene said...

Debby, thanks for the reminder. I just love making them..so fun.

Linda said...

It's summer all over the country now!! No triple digits for us here in North Texas - YET! They will come!

Linda said...

It's summer all over the country now!! No triple digits for us here in North Texas - YET! They will come!

Arlene said...

Linda, I am hoping this heat wave will go bye bye but I guess the hot summers are the prices we pay for our mild winters.

Gina said...

Arlene, it has been warm, hasn't it? I am hoping that it will rain soon to cool us all off. I've never heard of peg people! I'm imagining those large wooden clothespins. Is that close?

Arlene said...

Gina, I will post some of our peg people this week! They are similar to the old time clothespins but chunkier!!