Followers

Friday, June 19, 2015

Walking

With the hot temps we have been experiencing here in NoAla, I have to get up at six, get dressed and out the door to get in some early morning steps. I do enjoy the cool of the early morning but by my second lap, I am "glowing". As Julia Sugarbaker said on Designing Women, "Southern ladies do not perspire, they glow!!".  I also like to walk early in the morning to keep people from being frightened by my white legs!! I saw a post on Facebook that said, "It"s not PALE it's PORCELAIN and I'm ROCKING IT!!" That is my story and I am sticking to it. I would have been right at home in the Old South where porcelain skin was the sign of beauty. Today in our tan mad world, I stick out like a sore thumb. I have tried the self tanners etc but I cannot stand the smell and invariably I have orange streaks in unexpected places. Not good. I am going to embrace the Porcelain...it works for Lady Mary on Downton Abbey so I will emulate her!!

I have to share some of my favorite walking shoes....Skechers. I wore Skechers flip flops on Vacay and I never had a blister or a foot pain at the end of a day of walking.

For my early morning walks I wear my Skechers Go Walks.

Another great shoe and no laces to tie up!! It makes it easy to just put on my shoes and head out the door. Walking is good for the body and mind. I find my day just goes better if I take time to walk in the morning. I get some prayer time in, I soak up a bit of Vitamin D and hopefully all the walking will improve my bone density. So far I have seen no big weight loss but I have toned up and my stamina is much better!

Speaking of walking, I was able to check out the movie, Wild, from the library. It is a movie about the book by the same name, written by Cheryl Strayed. I enjoyed the book about a young women who walks the Pacific Crest Trail to deal with grief and loss. Let me just say that the book was better, as is almost always the case! I would not recommend the movie...it was rated R and some of the scenes  of her old life were disturbing. So that is some free advice this morning!!

Thanks for all the nice omments on my cross stitch. I started a Thanksgiving sampler yesterday.



I might just get it done and have it framed in time for the big feast day!!

10 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've always like Skechers but haven't had a new pair in a long time. I may want to try some on. I loved the book Wild and was disappointed in the movie, too. I wish they had spent more time on the trail and less on flashbacks. I think Reese W. did a great job in her role though. Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

Arlene said...

I like Reese too but I could not help but be disappointed in her choosing to do nudity in this movie as she has impressionable young children and how embarassing this must be for them! Of course, not much seems to embarass the Hollywood crowd!:) I thought the book was more about the walk as well!! I am a big Skechers fan now...I tried Merrells but they were just not comfortable on my foot! My husband loves them...everyone is different!!

Terri D said...

I have a pair of Sketchers right now and am not real happy with them. My Reeboks are suiting me better. I read the book "Wild" and can imagine that some of the scenes brought "to life" in a movie could be disturbing. The book had some rough spots too, but it was a very interesting story.

Arlene said...

yes Terri, the book was graphic and the movie is as well. I think the book focused more on what the walk did for Cheryl. The movie also left out all the people she met along her walk, which I thought was one of the most interesting parts of the book. Shoes are funny things...I had purchased a pair of FILAs and they were so hard on my feet that I passed them on to my daughter. I guess different feet need different shoes.

Mildred said...

Love your new sampler. You are an inspiration with your walking. Thx for the heads up on the comfy shoes. Wishing you all a lovely Father's Day weekend.

Arlene said...

Mildred it is really a battle of the will to get up at six and walk! I confess that one day this week I chose to sleep in!! I hope you and John have a wonderful weekend as well.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Arlene, I too like to start my day with a walk. My husband and I have walked for years. We love it! Even in bad weather we head to our local mall and walk. Thank you so much for the visit today! ♥

Arlene said...

Thanks for coming by to chat Martha Ellen!! I plan to utilize the mall in the winter. It really is a discipline!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I'd say YES, stick with the porcelain! The sun worshipers end up with wrinkles and tough elephant skin. Hope you have a great summertime weekend. Keep channeling Lady Mary. LOL

Gina said...

LOVE your sandals! I've not heard the porcelain comment before but I like it! Sadly I am getting a bit of tan from being outside so much. I really ought to wear a hat. -from one glowing friends to another!