Followers

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Back in the Day

I think reading Go Set a Watchman has made me nostalgic so when my sister posted these photos on Facebook today, it made me smile.  And it also made me sad....

My cousins, Pam(on the left)  and Kathy. Today would have been Pam's 59th birthday had she not been taken away by that awful disease, cancer.  In her case colon cancer. Be sure and get those colonoscopies friends. I know they are not fun but they are key in finding polyps which lead to cancer. ( Can you tell I am an old nurse?) Kathy's 59th  birthday will be in a few days but she collapsed unexpectedly one day after years of heath issues.  The loss of these ladies has made me grateful for each day that God gives me. You will not hear me complaining about getting older. It is a blessing.

And here we are at Kathy's birthday party one year. All the Tankersley grandchildren at Grandmother and Granddaddy's house.  I am the little girl standing in the embrace of my cousin, Carolyn. She is also in heaven after losing her fight to Lupus. ( Carolyn is in the pink dress and I am in the green plaid).  These photos capture a time when birthday parties were at home. Your mom made your cake and you probably had ice cream and Koolaid. Gifts were simple and the parents did not stress about keeping up with the Jones in the party area.  Family lived nearby and you always had a cousin that was special to you.  I am missing my cousins today and so glad that memories last forever.

9 comments:

Gina said...

It is lovely to remember but sad as well. You are so cute in your plaid dress. For some reason, I thought you'd be blonde. I don't know why.. :-)

PS I didn't read your Watchman post because I just started reading the book!

Terri D said...

Such a beautiful post. Memories are so precious. Great photos. Hugs.

Mari said...

It's nice to see those pictures, but it does bring mixed feelings.
I didn't know you were a nurse. We were having the same discussion at work the other day - telling another nurse she needed to have her colonoscopy.

Arlene said...

Gina, I try not to read any reviews before I read a book as well. I usually glance at Good Reads to see the number of stars given . Let me know what you think of it. Terri, thank you for the hugs. It is hard to lose so many wonderful women in one family. Mari...good for you! Colonoscopies are vital. I am a retired diploma nurse. I only worked for a short time after I graduated but I have tried to keep up!

Tif @ Bright on a Budget said...

So sorry for your losses. I'm thankful that you have such sweet memories of them, though.

Tif
www.brightonabudget.com

Mildred said...

So sad about the loss of these precious ladies. Your photos remind me of birthday parties from my childhood. Oh, what simple fun we had back then. How I would love to have a home baked birthday cake these days!

Arlene said...

Thank you Tif...one thing that is certain, if you live long enough you are going to lose those you love. So thankful to know I will see them again in Heaven. Mildred, it was a kinder gentler era wasn't it?

Cranberry Morning said...

Sweet memories (and photos), but tinged with sadness. Good advice from Mrs. Nurse.

Arlene said...

Judy, memories are always bittersweet I suppose...but glad for each and every one of them.