Followers

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Banana Bread

My brother in law, Lee, a busy general surgeon in Memphis, Tennessee, loves to cook. He bakes as well as preparing family night dinners for his big family. On Monday nights, the children gather with their kiddos for a delicious meal made by Doc Doc.  Lanier says her job is clean up and she is happy to have Lee use his creativity in the kitchen.  Lee makes the BEST banana bread I have ever tasted and I thought I would share his recipe with you. He says the secret is BUTTER!! Oh well, butter makes everything better! I will say that I add walnuts to my batter as I feel nuts makes every thing better so I will give you my version at the end of the recipe.

Hear it is ...a loaf cooling on the counter. It is great for breakfast with coffee and fruit.

Lee's Banana Bread
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick of softened butter
2 1/4 c plain flour
4 ripe bananas
Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter and sugar in electric mixer. Add eggs, then flour that has been sifted with baking soda and salt.  Add ripe bananas and mix until incorporated.( Okay, here is where I add 1 1/2 c of chopped walnuts).
Topping...this is what makes it outstanding in my opinion.
1 c sugar
3/4 c flour
1 stick of butter...soft
1/2 tsp cinnamon( I leave this out as I just like the banana taste)
1/2 c chopped pecans( I use walnuts)

Divide the batter into two greased and floured loaf pans, then divide topping evenly over the batter. Bake for one hour but check them after 45 minutes! My loaves took the whole hour to bake.

For all you Southern cooks who use self rising flour. Do NOT use it in this recipe. I thought I could get away with it the first time I baked this banana bread but the topping rose up and looked awful. It tasted good but trust me, use plain flour in this recipe. Your loaves will rise just right and look very pretty. Also, use real butter...margarine just does not produce the desired results.

Ok...here are some other Foodie photos I snapped at the reception I helped with over the weekend....

A cheese ball ...can you believe it? The lady who made this is a talented artist so I was not surprised that she could sculpt a cheese ball. Now if I tried this, it would look like those post of failed pinterest projects. If you have not seen these posts on facebook, there is a picture of a Pinterest project and then a picture of a poorly replicated project. It makes me laugh every time. I think we can all admit to a failed pinterest project.


These beautiful cupcakes were made by the groom's cousin. She did all the M's and hearts in piped chocolate, let it harden and used it for decoration. It requires talent and a steady hand. They also tasted delicious!

And guess who dropped by to see me this week? Uncle Sam!!
This monkey boy is my joy and delight, as are all my sweet grands. We have no big July 4th plans this year so I was glad Uncle Sam dropped by to celebrate early!

5 comments:

Mildred said...

That last photo made my day! So cute!!!

Thanks for the recipe. That banana bread sounds/looks delicious. Would be so tasty with a cup of coffee.

Have a nice day.

Karen said...

Everything looks so pretty and appetizing. I do love the aroma of banana bread in the oven! That is the most handsome Uncle Sam I've seen! Happy Fourth to you all.

Arlene said...

Thanks sweet Sisters!! I love that Uncle Sam!! This Banana bread is my favorite treat. At Christmas Lee brought two loaves of bread, one pumpkin and one Banana Bread. I told Marvin he could have the pumpkin bread!!

Terri D said...

How nice that Uncle Sam came for a visit!! How adorable is he?!! The banana bread sounds and looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Arlene said...

Terri, we had to have a lesson on who Uncle Sam really is!! Landon had not heard of him!!