Followers

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

From NoGa to NoAla

I was born in NoGa....that is North Georgia and I moved to NoAla( North Alabama) in 1984.


If you see Atlanta there, go up Interstate 75 to Dalton...head east and you will see Chatsworth, Georgia, my hometown.  Most people have never heard of Chatsworth so I always clarify by saying it is near Dalton, Georgia, the Carpet Capital of the World.  Chatsworth is between Dalton and Ellijay. Now days Ellijay is on the map because many Atlantans have vacation homes there.  Actually I am from the little community of Eton, Georgia. In fact I can awe new acquaintances by telling them I attended Eton. I may neglect to say Eton Elementary that is!!

Chatsworth is located in Murray County which was founded in 1832. Murray County was known as the heart of the Cherokee Nation in north Georgia at that time. Then county seat, Spring Place, was the home of Chief Joe Vann as well as a Moravian settlement.  The Moravians came to the area to bring the Gospel to the Cherokee.  But in 1913 the people of Murray County voted to move the county seat to Chatsworth as it was more centrally located and near the railroad lines.  In 1916 this beautiful courthouse was built at the center of town.

Even the Atlanta Journal noted it's grace and beauty. Rhett Turner, son of Ted Turner, recently wrote a book titled, Georgia County Courthouses, The Architecture of Living Monuments.  Guess which Georgia courthouse graces the cover?  Why this lovely lady of course!! In 1980 the courthouse was made a Historic Site in Georgia.

My sister, Kristi, who enjoys photography, took this picture over the weekend. Here you can see all the crepe myrtles that line the square around the courthouse. I have many memories of visiting this courthouse. As a child we would play on the steps as Mother renewed her drivers license or took care of other business there. Back in those days one did not have to worry about their child being snatched by kidnappers! Also in those days if a parent said, "Stay right here and I will be back in a minute." You stayed right there and you behaved yourself!! The county 4 H competitions were held at this courthouse when I was active in 4 H. I can remember my knees knocking as I showed up here to get my driver's license at this same place. And one of my happiest memories of the courthouse is the day I arrived there with Marvin to get our marriage license back in the bicentennial year of 1976. This old courthouse will always be dear to me.

I had planned to end my post there but thanks to the wonders of Facebook, my cousin, Scott, shared a photograph last night that I knew I wanted to use this morning!!

This is the view from the front of the courthouse...beautiful Fort Mountain. And as it was storming last night, Scott showed up at the courthouse, hoping to get some lightning shots  He got this beautiful picture of the storm and the lightning. If you would like to see more of his photography check out Scott Kuhn on Facebook.  Scott took our family photos at Christmas and he does such a wonderful job...it is nice to have talented people in the family.

And a little PS....check out Dawn's post on Pocketbooks at By Sun and Candlelight this morning. You might just see my purse there!! You can find her blog on my Blogs I Read list. All of my friends know of my love for purses! ( Remember my Dooney and Bourke Birthday Cake???) Dawn asked for her readers to share their summer purse and its contents!! I also noticed that Whitney at Come Home for Comfort has a purse post this morning as well!   Have a blessed day Friends!!

11 comments:

Mildred said...

Cute story about Eton Elem.!!! I enjoyed your memories from childhood and beyond of the importance of the courthouse. That's interesting about Rhett Turner's book, too. The first date John and I had was to Chief Vann's house and the surrounding area! The crepes around the courthouse are so pretty and your cousin's photo is spectacular. I'm on my way to see more of his photos. Have a nice day, Arlene.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

When we travel I always want to stop and take photos of courthouses! They are so grand and beautiful! And I went and looked at your pocketbook...such a fun post! Hugs, Diane

Arlene said...

Mildred, I do believe our courthouse is one of the prettiest I have ever seen...and it is in a pretty setting as well. Our courthouse here in Morgan County is rather utilitarian!! Glad you liked Scott's photo...it was featured on the Chattanooga news. Diane, I love courthouses too!! In fact I am thinking of purchasing Rhett Turner's book for my coffee table. Dawn's purse post was so cute and Whitney's is actually a vlog showing all the things in her purse, which I loved!! I guess I am just nosy!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

What lovely photos and thanks for sharing them Arlene! Have a nice day!
Julie xo

Arlene said...

Thanks Julie!! I am grandchildless today so it is very quiet at my house.

Mari said...

Someday I would love to visit - it's beautiful! I love old buildings and that courthouse is a gem. Your cousin is very talented!

Terri D said...

That is an amazing storm photo! Wow! The courthouse is wonderful too.

Arlene said...

Mari...I am prejudiced but I think it is beautiful. However I must admit that when I lived there I took the beauty for granted. Terri, I LOVE the lightning photo...so surreal!!

Karen said...

Brings back memories of visiting that part of Georgia when I was a child living in Alpharetta. I remember Etowah Indian Mounds.

Gina said...

Arlene, I have that first book on my library waiting list. I was afraid to read your review in case I learned too much. Sometimes I am in the mood for a sad book and sometimes not.

Love that mountain picture. So beautiful!

Arlene said...

Gina, let me know what you think when you read it. Right now I am reading Go Set a Watchman and I am liking it but then I am just on Chapter three!!