Followers

Monday, August 3, 2015

A Stitchin Good Weekend

We had a quiet weekend at home and I was able to get some stitchin in! I have been in a handwork mood lately. So far this year I have completed four samplers and this one is almost done. I think I will do a Christmas cross stitch next and see if I can get it done by Christmas.

I have some new blogs on my blog roll that you might find interesting. First up is Sandy at I Majored in Home Economics. I really think we are secret sisters as we have so many interests in common. Although she is a talented gardener and I am not.  Through her blog, I became acquainted with two cross stitch blogs that I added to my blog roll,  Priscillas and Carolina Stitcher. If you like hand work and want to be inspired to get out that old UFO (unfinished object) take at look at these blogs. I am amazed at how prolific they are with their stitching.

I do not know about the temps where you are but ours have dropped to a nice fall like temp in the early morning. It still gets up in the low 90s in the day time but the cool air is so refreshing in the early morning.  When I stepped out the front door, I almost went back for a light jacket but I thought(correctly) that I would warm up as I walked!!

In addition to stitching this weekend, I finished the book, The Wild Girl. It is the love story of Wilhelm Grimm and his wife, Dortchen.  I enjoyed the book and the author had really done a lot of historical research to help the reader understand the hardship in Germany as Napolean Bonaparte marched across Europe. Some of the book was very dark so that also helped me to understand the Grimm Fairy Tales that have been sanitized for young readers. The original Grimm Fairy Tales will make your hair stand on end!  I found it interesting that many of the names of the five Grimm brothers in the family are similar to names in our Grimm Line. I am always asked if we are related to the Brothers Grimm and I have to say that I do not know. I have researched Marvin's family back to the mid 1800s when they immigrated to the United States. Our German history is sketchy but another Grimm cousin is trying to unravel the mystery! I sure do wish we could get on the TV show, Who Do You Think You Are! They might be able to help us find out if we are members of THAT Grimm family.

Well I am off to have coffee with a friend this morning..then to the library and other errands. Have a blessed day!

9 comments:

Mildred said...

Your Thanksgiving sampler is lovely, Arlene. Sounds like you had a nice weekend. I am enjoying the cooler mornings too. I'm taking time away from blogging; John is having problems with his diabetes. Please feel free to email me any time. Have a great visit with friends this morning.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That has truly been the joy of blogging...meeting others that enjoy the same things I do. We really develop a bond with many of them. I always loved to cross stitch and there are so many pretty designs to choose from. Enjoy your day!

Sandy said...

I love your sampler. I ordered the Q clips too. Thanks for the tip. I am so out of touch, but enjoying retirement and reading my blogs. I learn so much that way. Have a great day.

Arlene said...

Mildred...will add you and John to my prayer list!! Diane, I have met so many lovely people while blogging..it is such a blessing. Sandy, I have to use Q snaps because i have to clip a magnifier to mine to be able to cross stitch on the linen. But I love them..so much better than the hoops that left marks and Q snaps keep the piece cleaner too as you are not touching the material! Hope you like them!!

Karen said...

The sampler is beautiful. What a gift to be able to do handwork like that!

Mari said...

I really like your sampler. I haven't worked on something like that for some time.
I love the Who do you think you are show. Being related to the Grimms would be pretty neat!

Faye said...

Hi Arlene ~ Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words... As a stitcher and finisher, I love having time to cross stitch and admire others works as well.... Your sampler is beautiful!! I'll happily follow your progress.....

Gina said...

Your cross stitch is going by quickly! Your projects are beautiful. I may take a stab at it myself. (Hopefully not stabbing myself!)

Arlene said...

I have really enjoyed stitching Gina...it calms my soul. I went back to the cross stitch store today for more samplers.lol