Followers

Friday, August 7, 2015

Beauty Products

It seems a lot of bloggers are sharing beauty product tips this week so I will join in. By the way if you did not read Rhoda's post at Southern Hospitality on her changing styles through the years, you will enjoy a walk down memory lane. I have read Rhoda's blog for years and she had some good hair and make up tips on Wednesday's post.

It seems that most of my friends and I end up discussing our hair problems. It is true that hair changes as you get older. And since I have chosen not to color mine, I have to deal with silver hair that can have a mind of it's own. Added to that, I have wavy hair. No, not the pretty beach waves but crazy waves. I am always trying to tame it. And finally I have found a product that seems to help.

I saw an ad for this shampoo and conditioner in a magazine and thought I would give it a try. It does seem to make my hair easier to style. Of course, I still must use a flat iron but it is not the ordeal that it once was.

Here is a product I sampled via Birch Box and I really do like it. So much so that I shelled out for the big size.  It makes my hair soft and less frizzy.

I never thought I would see the day when my hair needed oil added to it!! As a teenager I had big time oily issues.  I just use a drop or two of this and massage it into my damp hair before blow drying. I also like to add it to my hair when I see the ends are looking dry and brittle.

Skin care is my second concern.....As a nurse, I am skeptical of all claims to miracle skin cream. I know that  creams may help but only surgery can take away wrinkles and give you little scars behind your ears that prove you had "some work done".:)

Here are some YLEO products that I like. The orange blossom facial cleanser is very soothing at the end of a long day and gets all the make up off the skin. After washing with that I smooth Elemi oil on my skin. It is one of my favorite beauty products. The Morning Shower Gel is what I use when I am feeling draggy in the morning. It really peps me up and helps me to go about my day.

I also use Dove body wash. My husband's dermatologist recommended Dove as a good soap to use.

This is another cream I use that my daughter gets for me at the dermatologist office where she works!

My Vera Bradley Ditty Bag where I keep all my products under the sink! It is lined with plastic so I do not have to worry about makeup stains and spills.  I found mine on EBay at a great price.

Here is the biggest help to us aging Baby Boomers...

Be sure and purchase one of these big magnifying mirrors. I always check my make up in this before heading out the door because I do not want to look like this...

I loved Carol Burnett's Nora Desmond character but I do not want to look like her! I admit that as my eyesight as faltered a bit, I need the extra help that a magnifying mirror gives to me. I have to warn you , that it is not fun....it shows every wrinkle and defect!

This is one of my favorite products...I love the creme blush and I have found that the creme blush also can be used very successfully as a lip stain.  And isn't the front of this product so pretty? Another Birch Box find!


These are my massage oils that I find myself using often...another YLEO product. If I have had a tiring day, Ortho Ease is a good choice. If I am feeling stressed Relaxation helps me to get to sleep and if I have over done my exercise, Ortho Sport comes in handy. Made with natural essential oils they are safe for any age. My husband loves Relaxation and I rub it on his shoulders each night before we go to bed. After a stressful day at work, this product brings him such relief.

So there are some of my choices for beauty routines. If you have time today, check out Come Home for Comfort on You Tube. Whitney does a vlog about what is in her make up bag. I wrote down a few products that she shared so I can look for them at Walmart or Target. She is a young wife and she states that she only buys her beauty products at the discount stores.  I like that advice!!

10 comments:

Terri D said...

Isn't it great to find products that really do work for you?! I will check out your essential oil massage products. Thanks for the tips!

Arlene said...

I am slowly narrowing down my "products" Terri, to those that really work.

CatTales said...

Thanks for the tips! My hair is gray/white and naturally wavy, so I appreciate the hair tips especially. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Arlene said...

Mildred, that shampoo and conditioner is a good product. I am usually disappointed but this one delivered.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I really enjoyed reading about all the beauty products you like to use. I would love to try out something from The Balm as I love the packaging too.
Enjoy the weekend.
Julie

Arlene said...

Julie, what I like about Birch Box is that I can sample products before I purchase them. I have wasted lots of money on products that do not work.

Whitney Pendell said...

Thanks for sharing my video! My sister uses oil in her hair as well - I'm with you, after dealing with oily hair for years it's hard to imagine ever needing something like that. You're right - one of the keys to looking your best at any age is to realize that skin and hair changes over the years! Both my skin and hair are so different than they were 20 years ago. Loved seeing all your favorite products!

http://comehomeforcomfort.com

Arlene said...

Whitney, I am always glad to share your good advice!! My hair was so oily as a teenager that I used Joy Dishwashing soap as shampoo!! That was a beauty hint back in the 70s!lol...You are right, take care of your skin and hair to have a good palette for make up and hairstyles.

Gina said...

I love Dove soap too. I've never tried the other products but now I just might! :-)

Arlene said...

Well I was totally surprised when he came home with Dove...at his doctor's recommendation! I thought well if the Doctor says it is good, I will use it too.