Followers

Monday, August 10, 2015

Getting Started

We had a good time in the home town. We celebrated my mother's 85th birthday and my brother in law's 50th birthday! Sadly, I have no pictures because we were having so much fun, eating and visiting.  My sisters made THREE freezers of homemade ice cream, Cherry, Peach and Vanilla.   Before the birthday party Marvin and I met with John, my brother in law's father. John is a draftsman and will be drawing up our cabin plans for us. We gave him a rough sketch and we told him some of the things we wanted in particular. I am already rethinking something!! We have always heard that building a house together can be quite an ordeal. I am hoping we find it a dream come true!

I have not even been over to our property at the farm in quite a while so Bruce drove us over in his pick up.

Our cabin will be across the pond in that wooded area. We hope to keep as many trees as we can.  We will be doing some work around the pond as well...cutting down some old trees and getting rid of bushes.  It is a good retirement project for Marvin.

As we were driving back to my mother's house we met "the Girls" coming down the hill.

They know Bruce's truck and come to meet him!! They love their farmer. And by the way the little jersey cow whose picture I posted on Saturday is named Hannah. I know you all wanted to know! Bruce names most of his ladies.

Sunday was "Homecoming" at my mother's church. For those of you unfamiliar with this concept, it is a time for far flung families to return to their home church to fellowship with family and friends. If the church has a cemetery, then flowers are placed on the graves of loved ones as a special tribute. After the morning service, dinner is served. Not on the grounds as in the old days but in the church fellowship hall for the most part. The serving tables were filled with homemade treats of all kinds. Marvin had three pieces of pie for dessert.  After homecoming my sisters and I made it to a family baby shower so it was a full day!!

We got to hear The Morrison Sisters sing at homecoming and we really enjoyed them. Ages 9, 11 and 14 they sing with their daddy.  They reminded me a bit of the Peasall Sisters who sang in O Brother Where Art Thou?  They are north Georgia girls and very talented. You can find them on Facebook as well as their website.

Well as usual after a weekend away, I have some chores to tend to today!! Have a blessed one, friends.

11 comments:

Heather said...

What a beautiful location! Also, the freezer full of ice cream sounds so good right about now. :)

I just wanted to say a big thank you for my package of goodies! The fall plaque was perfect for my kitchen, and I LOVED the citrus jelly beans. I can't believe I've never tried them before. So delicious.

Thanks again!!!

Sandy said...

I am so excited about your cabin. It will be fun to watch along the way. I love the beach, but I also love the country. There is soul nourishing found in the woods also. In fact, we named our cabin...Serenity for a couple of reasons, but I find it to be just that when I am there. And a good old fashioned singing as they were called around my parts. I love it.

Arlene said...

Heather, so glad you are enjoying your Orange You Sweet tin!! Thanks for reading my blog! Sandy we are so excited...our cabin will be called Rivendell. If you are familiar with The Hobbit, you will know that it was a place of refreshment for the band as they travelled. My husband is a big Tolkien fan and he chose that and I agreed. We hope it will be a place to put aside the cares of the day for a little while. Those little girls can really sing and I so enjoyed them. Nice to step back in time every now and then!!

Terri D said...

What a beautiful place for your retirement cabin! I can't wait to see it evolve through photos and stories in your blog posts! Please keep us in the loop with you! A very fun time! I love the idea of Homecoming. None of the churches around here seem to do it anymore.

Arlene said...

Terri, we are so excited. And you can be sure everything will be documented here at Nanaland.

Mari said...

I'm so excited about your cabin. The location is just beautiful!
The homecoming sounds so fun. I've heard those girls before - they are really good!

Arlene said...

Mari...I am getting excited too! Once we get the plans then we will be looking for a contractor. Thankfully our family has lots of contacts in the area and my brother in law is so helpful in this area. And yes, those girls are really blessed. I was listening to my CD in the car yesterday as I did errands!!

Gina said...

What a wonderful trip! Your property is beautiful and I am excited for you! And oh my - three freezers of ice cream. Is there any left?

Arlene said...

Thanks Gina...you know we had homecoming and a baby shower so I did not get any more ice cream. There was lots of vanilla left and that is my favorite flavor.

Barbara said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Our family get togethers are usually around Thanksgiving. Makes me eager to get together with the family.

Arlene said...

Yes Barbara, families are so far flung today! That is one reason we wanted to build a cabin on our property so our children can use it in the future and keep the family ties intact.