Followers

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

School Days

Today is the first day of school! In my day we did not head back to school until the end of August and we had Labor Day holiday soon after!  I am not sure the reasoning for starting school while it is still so hot! My Murray County friends do not go back until after Labor Day and that seems to be the best way to go in my opinion.  Our son, Charles, celebrates his birthday on the 19th of August and often school started on his birthday! I have noticed that many schools schedule a fall break now in addition to a spring break. I guess back in my day the families did not have extra money to take vacations. If we went to the Smoky Mountains in the summer we were doing good.  I will stop before I sound like an old grumpy fogey!!

Here is Miss Kendall...ready for 4th grade!! She is looking so grown up!

And Landon is off to first grade with his faux hawk. I told Marvin that he reminds me too much of Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley for me to really like this style!!  I guess Landon would be considered a hipster with his hair and outfit.

And here they are at Nana's. We will leave a bit early today as it is the first day of school and traffic is always backed up. I will stop by McDonalds for my big cup of coffee on the way home! My first day of school treat!

9 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Aww your grandchildren look so nice for first day of school. I feel the same way as you about going back to school. My daughter is in HS and goes back 2 days after Labor Day. Ugh I don't want summer to be over! Well I hope you enjoyed your coffee today. I can't live without in the morning! LOL.
Julie xo

Cranberry Morning said...

Ha-ha, enjoy your first day of school treat. :-). The kids look darling and excited for school. We too didn't start school until about August 19. Minnesota always started after Labor Day. I hate seeing kids go back to school so soon. :-(

Arlene said...

Julie I had a LARGE coffee this morning!! IT was delish. I am not a Starbucks fan but I love McDonalds and Panera coffee. Judy, it is a very pleasant day here today as our heat wave seems to have lifted a bit so hopefully the kids will enjoy some playground time today. Both were excited to go back to school. Thanks Priceville Elementary for making school a good place to be.

Tif @ Bright on a Budget said...

How sweet! I love seeing 1st day of school pics! The kids always look so happy then:) What cuties you have!!!

Tif
www.brightonabudget.com

Arlene said...

Thanks Tif!! They just got home and both of them had awesome days...hope it keeps up!!

Mari said...

Schools here don't start until after Labor Day so we have a few weeks.
Love the pictures! Your Squiggy comment made me laugh. Now I'll think of that every time I see that style. :)

Terri D said...

They are SO adorable!!

Barbara said...

We started school after Labor Day Weekend. I'm not sure why except maybe because there wasn't any air conditioning back then in my school. In fact there wasn't air conditioning in our schools until sometime after I graduated in 1968.

Arlene said...

Mari, I am a bad grandmother but that hair style just makes me cringe!!Thanks Terri, you are always so sweet! And Barbara, how did we make it with no AC in the south during school session. Our teachers were saints to put up with all those smelly little kiddos!! lol