Followers

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Grimmlins

Katy sent me this picture of our Birmingham(Hoova) Grimmlins.  Don't they look angelic as they head off to Shades Mountain Baptist Church?

I am very thankful for Shades Mountain as this church has "buddies" who stay with special needs children so their parents can attend church. What a blessing this is because other wise, Ben or Katy would be staying with him at Sunday School. With more children being diagnosed with Autism, this is a real need for parents. My church, First Bible of Decatur, also has buddies! The mom of autistic twins at our church started this ministry.  It is a ministry that is not heard of very much but it is oh so important.  I am very thankful for Baylor's buddies.

Many of you pray for Baylor and you prayed specifically for us as we had the kiddos for the whole weekend.  Well I have to share a break through that we had over that weekend. Baylor refused to drink out of anything but a bottle. Katy had spoken with his Occupational Therapist about this problem. Her suggestion was that he would need a specific therapy plan that would probably cost Ben and Katy $100 . Not all therapies are covered by health insurance.

Well on Friday we went to the park to play and I forgot the bottle. I had some little dixie cups and some water so Marvin gave him a small cup with water. That child was so thirsty that he drank it right down and wanted more. We all clapped and cheered for him. Well once we got home, I continued to give him drinks in a sippy cup and he drank from it all weekend long. Katy reports that now he is drinking from a regular glass!! This might seem small to some of you but it is cause for great rejoicing among the Grimms.

So thank you all for praying for our special boy...prayer does change things!!

Amelia is off today with her children so I have a day to do some errands. And I am actually making a casserole for dinner! Marvin will be so surprised.  Ya'll have a blessed day!

17 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, another reason for rejoicing! How much we so often take for granted. It is wonderful that the churches have that crucial ministry. And yes, the kids look adorable in their Sunday best!! :-)

Sandy said...

That is a big deal. Happy, Happy, Happy. Our church provides that service as well. The faces on the parents is great, when they come back to the room and see that their child did well and is enjoying himself. I had that started two weeks ago. I work with the 4 year olds. I know they were anxious when they left him, but he did great with the buddy system. Blessed are those who agree to be the buddy.

Arlene said...

Judy, I am so thankful for this ministry that I never even knew about before Baylor. We are learning lots! Sandy, it is such a respite for the parents to be able to attend worship service. Katy told me that Baylor's buddy was surprised at how smart he was...he knows letters, shapes and numbers but his conversational communication is lacking. I am going to have to get my prayer warriors to pray on that one!!

Mildred said...

The little ones look adorable. I am so happy to hear about the buddy system; what a blessing. This is great news about Baylor and the cup! Yes, prayer does work. I'll be praying for his communication skills, as well.

Arlene said...

Thanks for your prayers Mildred!! I prayed for you and John today!! The day that Baylor can tell us what he needs or wants, you may hear me shouting over in Georgia!!

Terri D said...

Praise God!! The power of prayer is an amazing thing. The kids are so adorable, and I am proud of Baylor - and of his grandparents who are so patient and encouraging! His trust of you counts for so much! Excellent post and I am smiling!!

Arlene said...

Thanks for lifting him up Terri! We are learning more every day about this new road we are traveling on! But we have a precious tour guide. We will be so happy when he can communicate with us. But if the Lord desires that he remain non verbal, we know it is for a reason and we will love and encourage him just the same. His speech therapist believes he will communicate one day.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene the kids are so adorable. That is great news about Baylor! I bet that casserole was yummy!

Gina said...

I am so happy to hear of Baylor's progress. Hooray for dixie cups! What a wonderful ministry for a church to have those helpers. Caregivers, whether it be parents or grandparents, need a little quiet time and church is a perfect place!

Arlene said...

Gina, those buddies are such a blessing.

Mari said...

That's a great answer to prayer! Big smiles and praise here. :)
The buddies is a good idea. I haven't heard of it in my area, but I can see that it would be a huge blessing.

Arlene said...

Mari we are all so proud of Baylor!! It seemed like a miracle to us!

Debby said...

Way to go Nana and Grampy. Little steps are the best. The picture of the children is just precious. Love those little glasses. Hugs

Arlene said...

Debby, we have tried that trick before and it never worked!! But I am praising God that Baylor had a breakthrough. We hope it is the first of many!! Thanks for the virtual hugs!! I feel like my blog friends are my cheering section in life!!

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, this is so exciting! What a huge breakthrough for Baylor!! You must be so thrilled!

As you know, I pray for Baylor and his family (and all of the Grimms!) every Tuesday. I will begin to pray specifically concerning his conversational communication. It will be neat to see how God works!

Arlene said...

Mrs T...we so appreciate those prayers. We need them and I am looking forward to the day when Baylor sees me and says, Hi Nana!!

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, I am praying specifically that you will hear those words from Baylor: "Hi, Nana!"