Followers

Thursday, September 17, 2015

I Love Technology!

Growing up in a small north Georgia town with one tiny library, I had no thought whatsoever that one day I would hold a computer in my hand and it would be my phone!! We never saw that on Lost in Space or the Jetsons!! I still find it amazing that I have so much information at my fingertips.  I thought I would share some of my favorite apps with yall this morning.

1. Google....when the grands ask me a question I cannot answer, we google it. One day Kendall asked me why cowboys wore chaps. Now I thought I knew the answer but we googled it and found that chaps protected their legs from many things...the cattle, spurs on another cowboy who might ride too close and several other things that do not come to mind right now!  The other day I asked Suri when we return to standard time and she gave me the answer...at 2 am the first Sunday in November.  I hope she is  right!

2.Through the Bible....I love doing my Bible study online with Dr J Vernon McGee. I am over half way through a study of each book in the Bible. I like that I can turn it on at a time that works for me rather than having to remember what time it is aired on our local Christian station.  Also I can listen while I iron. I am not a big fan of ironing like my friend, Sharon, in NC. So listening to Dr McGee as I iron makes a tiresome chore more pleasant.

3. IMDB...Internet Movie Database.  I do not know about you but it drives me crazy when I cannot recall the name of an actor/actress in a certain movie or tv show. This website has settled many arguments in our home over which actor played which role. And if I like a certain actor, I can find all the movies and tv shows that they have appeared in over the years.

4. Fit Bit... I do check my FitBit app pretty often to see how many steps I have logged so far in one day. I can also see what my FitBit friends are doing and that motivates me to "beat" them that day. I recently got a special badge for walking 500 miles since I purchased my fit bit. Go ME.

5. Pandora...Ok, I have  a deep dark secret to admit. I love Christmas music. And I enjoy listening to it through out the year! With Pandora I can indulge without anyone knowing this! I simply turn on my Christmas radio station and get in the groove. Growing up my mother would not allow any Christmas music in our home until the day after Thanksgiving. Of course back then, we played records on the stereo or in my case, my record player. As the years moved along, CDs became the way to listen to music and I would sneak a Christmas CD in my player every now and then but of course my kids or my husband would find it and go"Why are you listening to Christmas music in July?"( Grinches!) So with Pandora I am a happy camper in the music department. I also have a John Denver station, a Bing Crosby station and other musicians I enjoy.  But I must say that my daughter, Amelia, takes after Mom in this department. I shared with her how we can listen to Christmas music all year long and no one is the wiser! She loved it!

9 comments:

Terri D said...

Peeking in from the hospital. All good apps!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it too. I'm addicted to checking out ebooks from my library and reading them on my IPAD with overdrive. It's so quick and easy! Thanks for your suggestions too! Hugs!

Arlene said...

Terri....send me an email and let me know why you are in the hospital! Cant have that with my sweet blog friends.. Diane, I check out a few books online as well. But I am still a dinosaur when it comes to books, I like to hold them in my hand.lol

Latane Barton said...

All those apps seem really great. You may have talked me into checking out a couple. And, yes, I love Christmas music, too. I don't see one thing wrong with playing anytime you feel in the mood. Cheers.

Arlene said...

Thanks for the thumbs up for Christmas music Latane!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene, yes technology is great! Everyone in my family Googles everything and we use Suri but sometimes it is annoying when it doesn't understand what you said. Lol!
Have a nice Friday and weekend.
Julie

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

These are all great uses of technology (except I'm with your Mom on the Christmas music!). Much better than some of the trashy things you can find on many people's computers and phones! I guess I would have to add Instagram to the list. I'm very visual and love looking at the photos!

Leslie Anne

Arlene said...

Julie, Siri has a hard time with southern accents as well! Leslie Anne, I forgot about Instagram!! That would be number six for me! Love those photos!

Barbara said...

So cute. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes we forget to be thankful.