Followers

Monday, October 26, 2015

Curbin

How is that for a title for my post? Many neighbors here in The Glens have been having some curbing installed around their flower beds. There are two companies that have done most of the work. One is Alabama Curbin...lol. Only in Alabama. The other is Southeast Curbing and that is the one I went with. I have looked at the work both companies have done and I am happy that I went with Southeast. It is owned by one of our local firefighters and he works on his days off. That meant we had to wait a while to get it done but he did a great job.

Because our curbing went a bit outside the original flower beds, Marvin and I had to make a trip to Lowes for topsoil and mulch to fill in the blank spaces.


My varigated hostas are dying back but my green hostas are still looking good. Once everything dies back I will add more mulch. I am not going to plant pansies this year. I am going with a plain look for winter.

My little Japanese maple is growing...it is hard to see it in front of the sprinkler box but there it is!!

Now I need to make a decision on a color for my front door. I have waffled about it long enough!!

While we were out shopping....Girls when I get my husband out to shop, I make sure that I get my money's worth! We have been needing a new mattress and I was determined to get one while I had him out!! We went to the store a friend had recommended. It is local, no frills and the mattresses are made here in America.  There were several beds on display so that we could check out the firmness etc. The owner insisted we lay down on the mattresses and give them a try. Well as we were laying on one of the mattresses, Marvin turned to me and said, "We are on the wrong sides." That made a difference to my engineer husband.:)  We picked out a KING mattress and the store delivered it that afternoon. How is that for service. It is still in the floor in our bedroom because we are playing fruit basket turnover. Our full bed in the guest room will go to granddaughter, Kendall, for her new bedroom. Our gueen bed will got to the guest room and finally we will get out bed in place. But that also means I need to shop for King Size Sheets, pillows etc.  Maybe we will have it in place by the time Charles, Nancy and Audrey arrive for Thanksgiving.

Now I am off for coffee with some old friends from my Weekday school days. Have a grand day ladies.

11 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Love your curbing, Arlene! (Curbin sounds like something we would say here in New England, too!) Your flower beds, curbing and porch look wonderful. Have you decided on a front door color yet?

Mattresses -- the "right sides" are so important, as Marvin rightly pointed out. We sleep much better in hotels, guest rooms and so on now that we finally figured out we need to each sleep on the same side of the bed as we are used to at home. It sounds picky, but it really makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the fun Halloween card! Lovely to get mail from you! You have beautiful handwriting.

Arlene said...

Wo glad you got your card! I appreciate your friendship so much! I am leaning toward a deep turquoise, more like a teal I suppose. I am going to check with the people at Sherwin Wms and see what they might recommend. You are right...we try to always sleep on the same side of the bed when we travel too!

Linda Eller said...

Your beds (outside ones) look lovely. I am sure you will enjoy your bed (the inside one) once you get it set up and ready. Enjoy your coffee with friends.

Arlene said...

Thanks Linda...trying to get everything tidied up before the cold weather sets in.

Terri D said...

Arlene, I received your card over the weekend!! Thank you so much! I don't have your address, but would love to get you on my Christmas card list. If you would email me your address, I'll add you to my contact list. jtdorsaneo@gmail.com

I LOVE the edging. Your guy really did a good job. Can't wait to see what color you choose for your front door!

Mari said...

The curbing looks so nice! He did a great job!
Hooray for a new mattress too. :)

Arlene said...

Thanks Mari...I really like it and the beds look so much neater!

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

The curbing looks spiffy. Amazing what a little touch like that does to the overall impact of the landscape!
I have an adjustable air mattress on my side of the bed, and my husband has a waterbed insert on his side of the same bed. Go figure. Weird I know, but we get good sleep!

20 North Ora said...

Arlene - Love your edging on your flower beds. It looks so neat!

Judy

Arlene said...

Leslie Anne, whatever works is right!! I am looking forward to trying out my new mattress, waiting on Amelia to pick up with full bed to start things moving. Judy, thank you so much. I have really enjoyed your Christmas Craft Mondays!!

Healthy Bed Store said...

Your curbing looks fantastic! I really like the earth tone color you decided to go with. The color goes very well with the bricks on your house and makes the shrubbery really stand out. I like the fact that you were not shy about the size of your flowerbed. As for your front door, how about a reddish orange?

Dante Storey @ Healthy Bed Store