Followers

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Epic Weekend

Well it was an Epic Weekend for sure!! Alabama beat Georgia in spite of the Tide being the Underdog!! And sadly, Sara did not win homecoming queen but she is a winner always in my book. She raised over $16,000 for the Lutzie Foundation.

Meanwhile, it was an epic weekend in the south because of the tropical storm that wreaked havoc. My Nursing School Friends and I had planned a lovely weekend in Brevard NC. We had been anticipating it since February. Every one took time off.( I am the only member of the group who is a lady of leisure...all the rest are hard working nurses!!) We thought we would be strolling down Main Street enjoying the pretty scenery and the changing leaves. Well we were strolling down the Main Street with our umbrellas! Thankfully everyone arrived safely in Brevard Friday evening...coming from Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and West Virginia. We had a nice meal at the local Mexican restaurant and then we spent the rest of the evening gabbing and catching up.

Saturday we did do some shopping, had lunch at Mayberry's on Main Street, checked out Mud Dabbers pottery and retired to the Hampton Inn to spend some time in the lobby having coffee and chatting again! We never ran out of something to say!

Saturday evening we dressed up and had a nice dinner at the Square Root. Marvin's brother, William, his wife, Barbara and our nephew, Douglas joined us to make up a big table and we had a great meal and took time to visit. When we got back to the hotel, we were all tired. I think we thought we were in our 20s again!!  Here are some photos from Saturday evening...

We were imitating the June Taylor Dancers...do you remember them???

Left to right...Jenny who is a Hospice nurse, Me, the Nana nurse, Karen, the Rehab nurse, Connie, the School nurse and Terrie, the Day Surgery nurse. Kudos to Terrie for being employed at Atlanta Medical Center( formerly our school hospital Georgia Baptist Hospital) for 39 years. None of these ladies have plans to retire any time soon. I admire their spirit!!

Jenny snapped this one at the Square Root!

We had a nice breakfast at the hotel then said our goodbyes. We have promised that we will not let 30 something years pass before we get together again!!

10 comments:

Latane Barton said...

What a fun albeit a wet time. But, when girlfriends get together who notices the rain, right?

Mari said...

Sorry about the weather, but I'm glad you were all able to be there and have such a good time!

Linda said...

I know you have looked forward to this and I'm so happy to hear you all had a good time!!! I think you are amazing for keeping your group together and stay in touch!

Angie said...

What a wonderful get together. I'm sure you ladies had a blast!

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

What a fun time! I love seeing friends from years ago (notice I didn't say, "old" friends!). You all look fabulous and I'd consider myself blessed to have any one of you caring for me. I can tell by your smiles you are all kind and definitely in the right field!

Arlene said...

Ladies let me just say thanks for all the nice comments. I was in charge of organizing the weekend so I was a bit nervous that it would turn out well. I prayed everyone would stay well, that all would have traveling mercies and that we would have a blast. I guess I forgot to pray that hurricanes would stay far away!! But all of us agreed that we must make getting together a priority!

Sandy said...

I love the picture of y'all. It is wonderful that y'all have stayed in touch so long. I am jealous. I would love to have a get together with the girls that were in my methods class of home economics education at Auburn. I would love to see what they all ended up doing, since our lovely major didn't make it. I have no clue where we all ended up, yet we went through so much together in school.
BTW, Sara was lovely. I thought she was dressed the cutest of all the girls and had such a great smile.

Arlene said...

Sandy, I say that being in Nursing School together is kind of like being in the army...it bonds you for life.lol Thanks for the sweet compliments to Sara. I thought she looked the nicest as well but I am a bit prejudiced!! Just being selected to run was such an honor.

Terri D said...

So glad you were able to keep your reunion, in spite of the weather! What a fun time you all had. Yes, I remember the June Taylor Dancers!! :) Love the spirit that is evident in your photos. You just can't beat "old" dear friends!

Arlene said...

Terri, I loved the June Taylor Dancers....lol...showing my age!!