Followers

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Movies

My blog friend, Leslie Anne, at Fairhope Supply Company had an interesting post yesterday on a Film Festival that is being held in Fairhope. She asks her readers to name some of their favorite movies in the comment section.

I must admit that I am more of an "old" movie gal. I love the old black and white movies of the 30s and 40s. My favorite leading men of the era are Cary Grant and Clark Gable.  Cary Grant makes me just laugh out loud in My Favorite Wife.  Cary has just remarried after losing his beloved first life in an accident at sea....but guess what, she is not dead and she shows up after Cary marries his not so nice second wife. Irene Dunne and Cary Grant have wonderful chemistry in this film.  I also loved Cary in Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. Myrna Loy plays his wife who is determined to have the perfect house, going so far as to take a spool of thread to show the painters the exact color of green she is determined to have on the walls.  And really, Cary is perfect as the angel in The Bishops's Wife. ( I also enjoyed The Preacher's Wife which was a remake of The Bishop's Wife.)  Besides the cleft in his chin, Cary has everything needed to be a heart throb but he is not just a pretty face. His comedic timing is perfection.





And Clark Gable...no one but Clark could have taken on the role of Rhett Butler. Actually I wanted to name my oldest son, Rhett, but Marvin shut that down.  I always thought that fraternal twins named Rhett and Scarlett would be neat too! So I guess it is a good thing I have a sensible husband.  Gone With the Wind is my favorite Gable movie but I also enjoyed It Happened One Night. Clark also has good comedic timing that he put to good use in several movies. One of my favorite GWTW scenes is early in the movie when Rhett pops up from the sofa where he was trying to nap and confronts Scarlett after she has had a fight with Ashley.  Who could forget the scene where Rhett carries Scarlett up that long flight of stairs to their boudoir? What a man...made my teenage heart go pitter patter!!  My parents frowned on taking us to movies when I was a girl. Frankly we did not have a lot of extra money for entertainment but when Gone with the Wind was re released in 1967, my parents made sure we made it to the Wink Theater in Dalton to see this iconic movie. Many people did not realize it was four hours long and left during the intermission!! I guess they had not read the book.



As for my favorite female actresses...Norma Shearer who is best known for The Women, is my ab fab. If you have not seen this 1939 movie, you need to do so! It is a movie focusing entirely on women. Not a man to be seen in the whole movie. And the actresses are all superb!  Miss Shearer is just so elegant and beautiful as the poor put upon Mary.   Greer Garson in Mrs Miniver is my second favorite. Another must see movie set in the second world war era. My favorite scene from this movie is when Mrs Miniver catches a German soldier in her garden and he tells her that the Germans will win the war...well that was not the thing to say to an English mother. She hauls off and slaps him right in the face!! I feel like cheering every time I see it! And looking at the poster for the movie I am reminded that Walter Pidgeon was very good looking too!




To me there is just something so artistic about those black and white films. I think the elegance of that time makes me sit up and take notice. You never see anyone drinking coffee out of a mug...it is rather like tea time at Downton Abbey. And maybe it is a bit mysterious ...not knowing what color the actresses hair is or the shade of her dress. It makes the viewer really focus on the action of the movie. Which is a good thing if it is a good movie.

So what about you? I would love to know what kind of movies my blog friends enjoy! Tell me about them!


9 comments:

Linda Eller said...

I love 'feel good' movies. Not into scary or gory or indecent ones. I love happy endings....Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail. I did like Schindlers List as it was informative. We dont go to movies any more and if it isnt on tv, we dont get to see it at all.

Terri D said...

I enjoy any movie that has a happy ending. I'm a sap for happy endings, and like it even better if it makes me cry happy tears. That said, I LOVE Gone With The Wind and have seen the movie many times (own the DVD). I even read the book five times. I read somewhere that Clark Gable had bad breath and the females who acted with him hated to kiss him because of it. Hard to imagine!!

Arlene said...

I love happy movies too these days Linda..so much sadness around us everywhere! And Terri, I heard that about Clark Gable as well. I also read that he would sometimes eat an onion just before love scenes to aggravate the ladies.

Mari said...

I like "chick flicks" with a happy ending! I've never seen these oldies, but I'm going to try to look a few up. They sound good!

Arlene said...

Mari I became familiar with them when I used to check out movies at the library!!

Sandy said...

I loved all Gidget movies and oh, Doris Day was a favorite too. Nowadays, I only watch with half interest action movies since I cave to Hubby. On Friday nights when he is at his high school ballgames, I watch Hallmark sappy love stories. I like sappy clean loves stories.

Arlene said...

Sandy I think the world we live in is action packed enough for me. lol...I need uplifting when I take time to sit and watch tv.

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

Such a great list of movies! Our cable provider doesn't have Turner Classic Movies anymore. Pity, because I loved it. Newer movies rarely crank my tractor, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for reading about the film festival. They have some "doozies" I wouldn't be caught dead in, but thank goodness there are also some good ones there as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

Arlene said...

Oh Leslie Anne, Turner Classics is one of my favorite channels, which I am sure is no surprise after seeing the list of my favorite movies. As to the film festival, living in such an artistic little town, there are bound to be artists that are a tad different.lol...Looking forward to hearing about the movies you saw.