Followers

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Pumpkins and Mums and Cotton Oh My!

Well I finally found some pumpkins, gourds and Mums last week before I took off to NC. Now I need to remember to WATER my mums. We seldom go out our front door, using the garage for egress and that is bad news for any flowers I put on the porch. I have to write a note on the fridge to remember to water! I had the little hay bales from last year that I had kept in the garage. the old metal flower pot holder was an antique store find and I use it all the time.


When I snapped this picture, I realized that my fall door wreath is looking rather sad. I may have to replace it or perk it up a bit. I will be going to Pineapples on Thursday so I will see if they have something pretty. I love all their wreaths and unique door decor. I am still waiting on the curbing guy to show up. Several of us neighbors are getting a faux brick curbing put around our flower  beds. That metal trim has bothered me since we moved in six years ago so it is about time for it to GO.  I have not put out any mums or pansies as I wait for that little landscaping job to be finished. My variegated hostas are dying back but the green ones are looking great.

And as Alabama is the Heart of Dixie, I wanted to share this picture showing a field of cotton that is near by.


I see this field on the days I pick up Kendall and Landon from school. I just had to stop and snap a picture the other day. This year the cotton yield has been very good but the price on cotton is down so the farmers are just hoping they will make a profit on their work this year. Poor farmers...they work so hard and sometimes it just does not work out for them. I always think of Laura in the Little House books as she told herself she would never marry a farmer for this very reason. However she ate those words.:)

I shared this photo on Instagram the other day...if any of yall would like to be Instagram friends, send me a request. I am arl5n5!  Priscilla at Priscillas is so good to post a picture a day and I am trying to do better about that!! I love seeing Priscilla'a hand work...she is one of the fastest cross stitchers I know!! And I admire that so much.

Have a good day friends...looks like summer is back here in NoAla...84 today!!

12 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Your front entrance looks beautiful to me! I told my daughter that there was no point in decorating our front porch because we're so far from the road that no one sees it. She said to do it for me. But with cold weather coming on, I don't sit on the front porch anyway. LOL Have a wonderful October!

Arlene said...

I am too cheap to do a big display Judy!!lol And I like a more refined look. I restrained myself from going over board on the fall decor inside as well. We just got those chairs for the porch and I think I sat in them one time.

Sandy said...

I feel better about myself that you have no pansies. I am usually out there changing out flowers by now, but lately I have been so busy that my front looks rather sad. I like your front door much!
I hope to get some new flowers out on my front soon.
And a field of cotton is one of the most beautiful sights to me. On my way to my Mom's, they are in abundance.

Arlene said...

Sandy, thankfully you cannot see the weeds in my flower beds.lol! And what is prettier than a field of cotton in the fall?

Vintage Girl 901 said...

I think your front door is beautiful and I didn't even notice the metal around the flower bed. I was only looking at how pretty your porch looked. Shhhh. Don't tell and no one will know. I'm missing the cotton fields back home in GA. I've yet to see any in Tennessee.

Terri D said...

Your porch looks lovely!! We don't use our front door, either. I've got two potted mums out there. Thankfully Joe remembers to give them a drink. I'm just not a plant/flower person. I'm not on instagram or twitter, but I like the photo of the cotton field.

Arlene said...

Bonnie, thank you for the sweet comment. Drive down the road to Alabama...we are not far from you!! Terri I am not much of a flower person either...I love them but just not much talent at keeping them alive!!lol

Mari said...

Your porch looks so cozy and inviting! I really like that flower holder. I bought pumpkins for my porch today but still have to pick up a mum.

Rian said...

We usually put a hay bale and a few pumpkins out front too... but that's about it. No big Halloween display. I need to read your profile as I forget where you live in Alabama. My cousin and his wife are just retired and planning to move to Birmingham where her family lives.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene I love the hay and pumpkins! From what I could see the wreath looks nice. Have a beautiful fall day.
Julie

Karen said...

I love the decorations on your porch and the cotton fields bring back childhood memories of Georgia!

Arlene said...

Rian we are in Decatur Alabama about 90 miles north of Birmingham. Our oldest son lives in Bham. Karen and Julie, I may just make do for one more year with this wreath.