Followers

Friday, November 13, 2015

In the Spirit

I have had a chance to get out and see a few of our local gift shops and let me tell you Christmas has arrived in Decatur. In fact Santa Claus made an appearance last night at the Downtown Decatur Christmas Open House. I did not brave the crowds for an evening of shopping, preferring to shop during the morning hours while it is quieter in the shops.

I went by Cheldens, one of my go to stores for gifts. They have unique things and along with Tammy Eddy Antiques, win the award for prettiest packages. Yes, free gift wrapping will lure me into a store at Christmas!!  I had to snap a picture of this...

Isn't it darling? There was one in the store and two outside flanking the front door.  Neesa, the employee who put this together told me that she had made this one for a charity event, Under the Christmas Tree, in Huntsville. It is beginning to dry out a bit.  While I was chatting with Neesa we were talking about wrapping packages. She told me that one of her elementary school teachers taught the entire class how to wrap a package. The class often made gifts for their parents and the teacher wanted every child to know how to wrap a gift.  Neesa says it has come in handy over the years!:) Myra at My Blessed Life did a tutorial on wrapping packages that really helped me to figure out just the right amount of wrapping paper to use for a package. You might google that one to see if it is still available online. If not, I am sure there are other good tutorials. I am all about googling something for information and I love the tutorials as I am a visual learner.

Yesterday I headed downtown to Pineapples in search of some bows for my tree and I knew I could find some cute picks for my Yo Yo Bag.

I found some very cute picks for a reasonable price. It looks kind of  busy with my quilt, I may flip the quilt to the plain side for the holidays!! Another tip I have picked up over the years, take a picture of any craft which is a work in progress and a photo will help you to see any flaws. This is so easy to do with cell phone cameras and it has helped me out on several occasions.

And here are the bows for the top of my tree...

I prefer to use two bows at the top. It is much easier to add two to make one big bow in my opinion. Being very symmetrically minded I want everything to be "even". When I have one big bow at the top I am forever trying to balance it out!!  Pineapples is a virtual Winter Wonderland right now and I wanted to get first shot at their decorations. In fact, I did not see any bows that I liked so I found this spool of ribbon and the bows were done up while I shopped! You cannot beat that for service.

So now I am trying to make myself wait until after Thanksgiving to start decorating. Lots of my blog friends are posting their Christmas decor and it is making me antsy!!

9 comments:

Gina said...

I haven't been out shopping much (other than the grocery store) but I am hoping to this weekend. I love Christmas decor!

That greenery dress looks itchy! :-)

Love your picks in your sweet bag. And I think I have that quilt!

Arlene said...

Yes Gina, I would skip that as my dress for the holidays.lol...I thought it was very creative and perfect to greet shoppers at Cheldens. I am going to turn my quilt over tomorrow. My son and his wife are coming next weekend so I need to give that room a good turning out!

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

Hang in there! I'm a lover of Thanksgiving and don't want to indulge in Christmas until I've had a turkey dinner! I do love seeing your fun shopping trip, though!

Arlene said...

I am trying to hold back Leslie Anne!!

Mari said...

I love the picks and your bows! That tree dress is amazing!

Angie said...

I'm on the holding back bandwagon too. I want to decorate like NOW but won't allow myself. I like to enjoy EVERY holiday as they come!

Arlene said...

Mari..that dress was so original. I want one for my front porch.lol

Arlene said...

Angie, it is hard to wait I am thinking of decorating my bedroom and maybe that will keep me occupied.

Terri D said...

No decorations go up at our house until after Thanksgiving. I can't even get excited for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. The bows are lovely, and I look forward to seeing your tree!