Followers

Friday, November 6, 2015

Polish Stars

If you are on Facebook, you might have seen a tutorial by a young lady named Viera Kryvoshyya. She was making Polish Star Christmas Tree ornaments. I was intrigued by this intricate craft and I wanted to see if I could make a Polish Star.

Here are my supplies ready to go after a trip to Hobby Lobby.   You will need enough pretty paper to cut out ten 3" circles. I found that I needed two pieces of scrapbook paper for each ornament.  And that glass? I used it to trace my circles..a perfect 3". You will also need two pencils, one to draw the circles with and one to form the points for the stars. Sequins and some sort of braid to thread the stars on.( I did find that a length of DMC floss worked better than the braid.) You will also need a big darning needle...since I did not own one of those I purchased a pack along with a tube of Aleene's tacky glue. You will also need a nickle to do this craft!!  Google the video to find out why!!


Here are some of the papers I chose for my stars. You can mix it up. I made one star with half green chevrons and half red chevrons.


A close up view of my supplies. I also found that you could use anything you have on hand to hold the layers in place such as a small bead or button instead of the sequins. And you want to use as small a drop of glue as you can when making the points. I had to get a package of wipes to have on hand to wipe off my fingers and my pencil. I like Aleene's tacky glue because it dries quickly and holds everything secure. Which can be a problem because several times my pencil stuck to the points!! I found that I needed to wipe off my pencil after making several points to remove excess glue.


Here is my finished product....I really had fun replicating Viera's stars. I found that my second star looks better as I was able to perfect my points.  It took me about an hour start to finish to complete this project and I will admit it is a project for someone who is a crafter...it is not an easy project.

So my Christmas Tree will be sporting some Polish Stars this year. And my sister has already asked me to make her one so I see lots of stars in my future.

17 comments:

Sandy said...

Very nice. Crafting is so much fun. Believe or not, that might be the one thing I miss about teaching. Things have changed so much now, so there wasn't a whole lot of crafting going on at the end. However, back in the day Friday afternoons, we looked forward to art time. I think it was really good for kids. They learned how to manage time to finish, follow directions, and even how to help another person out.

Terri D said...

That is very pretty! Reading through your blog, I was trying to envision what it looked like and was WOWED when I saw your finished star. Awesome!

Cranberry Morning said...

Okay, I read the instructions, but I think you missed a step, perhaps, like 'Arlene then performs magic!' LOL What gorgeous ornaments!!

Arlene said...

Thank you dear Friends....I really enjoyed learning something new!! And Sandy I think crafting in school is good for the teachers and the students.

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

Do you have a link for the video?

Arlene said...

Chris if you google Polish Christmas stars this ladies you tube video is the first to pop up.

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

Thanks, so much!! As a Polish girl :-) I want to try to make one/ or some!! Thx

Arlene said...

Chris K i want to see yours when you make them!

Linda said...

Very pretty ornament, but I know I would not have the patience to do it. thanks for sharing.

Tori Leslie said...

So nice! I love your star. It's gonna look so sweet on your tree.

Arlene said...

Linda it is a finnicky craft for sure. Now that I have made several I am doing it a bit faster!! Tori, I hope I have several on my tree this year. Some will go to friends.

Mrs.T said...

They are beautiful, Arlene. As I mentioned in my reply to your comment on my blog, I've attempted making something similar in the past. The ones I tried were made from brightly colored foil (or metallic paper) and were from a kit. I found them very challenging. Still have the kit, though, so I may try again. You make it look easy!

doodles n daydreams said...

That is a very pretty star but I don't think I am crafty enough (or patient enough) to make one. I think your Christmas tree is going to be wonderful.

Diana

Arlene said...

Mrs T I think a stiff paper works better for this craft, like scrapbook paper. I am sure a thinner paper would be harder to roll!! Diana, I am thinking I will have a few Polish Stars on my tree this year! THey are time consuming for sure.

Vintage Girl 901 said...

Beautiful! Yes I could those on your tree. Awesome talent. My fingers don't work for crafts or is it my nerves.

Gina said...

Wow!!! I did see that on FB and would love to make some.

Arlene said...

Post pictures if you make some Gina.