Followers

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tennessee Traveler

Isn't it good when you find a "couple friend"? I mean a couple that you can have dinner with and the men are friends and the ladies are friends?  We found that in our friends, Sharon and Barry. We were glad to take off with them on Saturday morning to see the Lynnville, Tennessee area where Barry was born and raised.  We went on little roads through the countryside, over hill and dale. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this remote area.   One place that I found really interesting was the Old Brick Church Community.

 This is the Old Brick Church. Where is the brick you say? Barry told me that they had arranged to buy the brick but making brick back then was a tricky business and the brick maker fell asleep and the brick was ruined. The church did not have the funds to make more bricks so it was frame built.  It is a pretty old church in a beautiful little cove. It is open for anyone to go inside and they ask that if you visit, please sign the guest book.  This Presbyterian Church was organized in 1840 and retains much of the charm of an old church of that period.


 A shot of the church from the road. The old cemetery is to the left.


A view of the front of the church.




The back of the church. The upstairs was once a balcony and this is where the slaves sat when they attended church with their families.  The area has been converted to Sunday School rooms.


I had to take this photograph of the view out the window. I always ponder on the people over the years who sat in the pew and gazed out this window while the preacher was preaching. Now you know we all daydream occasionally in church!! I remember looking out the window at the little church I attended as a child. My present church does not have windows at gazing level! Perhaps for a reason!


This pretty tree gives shade to the old graves below it.


Barry also showed us this old school that his father attended as a boy. A local member of the community purchased the school, moved it to his property and restored it. I would love to see the inside of this old beauty.

It is good to step back in time and remember all those who worked hard in the week, worshipped together on Sunday and hoped that their descendants would make them proud.

11 comments:

Linda Eller said...

I love small churches and communities. It is what this country was built on. Loved the pictures and the stories behind them. Have a blessed day.

Sandy said...

Great post. Love remembering how things were. I am so glad you found a "couple" friend. Those are hard to find.

Arlene said...

Linda, I love history and a tidbit that I did not add is about one of the graves. It was the grave of a man who had fought with Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. There was a historical marker at his grave and I wish I had taken a picture. Sandy it is good to go back in time every now and then. In many ways it is comforting!! Those old saints made it through and so will we!

Terri D said...

What a beautiful church!! Looking at the outside, one would never guess that the inside is so beautiful! I was glad to learn that it is still in use and that people are still praising God there! Years and years ago, while my dad was out deer hunting, he found an old church that was falling into disrepair. It was totally abandoned and it was obvious that no one had even stepped inside in a long long time. He found an old Bible under the podium and decided to take it. He took it to a book restorer and had it cleaned and repaired. Such a beautiful Bible, and I don't know what happened to it. My sister, Tammy, must have it. I'll have to ask. Anyway, thanks for bringing that memory back for me!! I would also like to see inside that old school house! What a great day-trip you and your friends had!! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs.T said...

How beautiful, Arlene! I love old buildings and it is so heartening to realize that historic church is still being used and that someone took the time to move and restore the schoolhouse. What a wonderful trip you had with your friends!

I loved your comment that "those old saints made it through and so will we"! Very uplifting.

Arlene said...

Terri I am so glad this post brought a sweet memory to mind. I always find old churches so interesting. Mrs T they do still have a service once a month on the other Sundays they have Sunday School. It is mostly elderly women who keep the church going. Once they are gone I suppose it will just be a historic site.

Mari said...

I love old buildings, especially old churches. This one is charming!

Arlene said...

Thanks Mari...there was a really sweet spirit there.

Heather said...

I love visiting the old buildings when I go on a little vacation. It is always interesting to see how they lived. That church is beautiful!

Arlene said...

Heather we are kindred spirits. I love visiting cemeteries as well!!

Heather said...

Someday I will come visit and we can go find some great old cemeteries!