Followers

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

In A Galaxy Far Far Away

Back in 1977 Star Wars was released and like many others, Marvin and I took our younger selves to see this movie everyone was talking about and seeing multiple times.  I have to admit, I am just a semi nerd. I am a Doctor Who fan and I enjoyed the Hobbit but I am not a totally sold out Science Fiction nut.  But Star Wars, way back in the day, caught my imagination in a big way. Frankly, it was like no other movie I had ever seen. The special effects( for their time) were great and the battle between good and evil was well played.   Then I had children and I sort of remember seeing The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi but I could not give you the plot line for those movies. As for the prequels that came out later, I remember that Natalie Portman played Queen Amadala and Liam Neeson was Qui Gon Jin.  So when the news was out about movie number 7 in the Star Wars series I was rather ambivalent.  However after hearing the good reviews, Marvin and I made our way to Huntsville to watch this movie in the nice seats at the Monaco Theater at Bridgestreet.

Well all I can say is WOW...this movie did bring back all the memories I had of the original Star Wars movie. When Han Solo and Chewbaca showed up on the screen, it was like seeing old friends. Princess Leia is now General Organa and she is fighting against her old enemy, the Dark Side, now called The First Order.  The new younger characters, Poe, Finn and Rae are relative newcomers on screen. I had to look up the actors who played these parts on Internet Movie Database and frankly to me they were unknowns but that is how you make money in the movie industry. And I am sure they will be unknowns no longer after appearing in this movie. All three did a great job in their roles.

I will say that after pondering over the movie I did have one or two questions that the movie did not address. Marvin tells me that if they answered all my questions that the movie would have been four hours vs two hours and twenty minutes. And as my questions are not spoilers here they are...1. How did Rey learn to be a pilot? She is a scavenger when we first meet her. 2. How was Poe rescued after his crash early in the movie? So if you have any ideas, please share them with me!!

I am really enjoying this week of leisure at home with Marvin. We did not get up until nine am this morning. That is sleeping in for old people. I see this week as a dress rehearsal for retirement and I think I will like it.  Today I have several projects to work on. I finally caught up with printing all my pictures from October, November and December so I can add them to the grands photo albums. In this digital age, I am doing photo albums for the grands to have some day. The pictures can actually be held in their hands vs seen on a computer. Call me old fashioned but I love a picture book.  I plan to give them their own stack of photo albums when they turn 18.  I hope they will treasure them as a gift from a loving Nana.




8 comments:

Rian said...

Arlene, I (as you) am not a big Star Wars fan. But I did see most of them due to DH and the kids... and I too was impressed with the technology and special effects back then. Now we have not seen the new star wars yet, but I'm sure we will. I've heard good things.

And since retirement, we also sleep late - for us it's until 8 am - although the cats start fussin' around 6.

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh Rian, you must see it. Totally worth the cost of admission and I do not say that about many movies these days. When Marvin told me it was nine a m I was so surprised. I am usually waking up on my own around seven when I let my body regulate itself. But then we are staying up later this week as well!! I do look forward to Marvin's retirement but I am sure it will be an adjustment.

Sandy said...

We haven't been to see the movie yet. We have to set aside some time to do that. I am so with you on photo albums. I like the actual books to look at. I think that is one of those very necessary things to take the time to keep up.

Arlene Grimm said...

Well Sandy, I spent the afternoon catching up so I am ready for the New Year. I have to buy some frames for the family pictures we had made in Chatsworth. I am going to do a gallery wall with them I think. I hate trying to decide where to put things!

Gina said...

Arlene, I just peeked at your post. We haven't seen the movie yet. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :-)

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh Gina, you will love it. I am hoping to talk Kendall and Landon into seeing it again on Monday. They do not go back to school until Tuesday.

Victoria Stankus said...

My family and I are big Star Wars fans. We have seen them all. But, my all time favorite is the first one made in 1977. I agree with what you said, that it was like seeing old friends when Han and Chewie showed up on screen in this new movie. It was thrilling. Did you see the movie in 3D? We did. It was amazing.

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Victoria, we wore the dorky glasses.lol...The one made in 77 is my favorite too!!