Followers

Monday, December 14, 2015

Thank you Autism Society of Alabama

 The Alabama Autism Society made it possible for families dealing with autism to spend Sunday afternoon at the McWane Center in Birmingham. And it was FREE. Katy said all three Grimmlins had a blast there and Ben and Katy were able to let Baylor just enjoy the center. In the past Katy went there with a friend and she found it hard to keep up with Baylor, not to mention the disapproving stares of those who thought Baylor was just misbehaving.   "He doesn't look like he has autism." is a phrase parents of autistic children get so tired of hearing. And when you first see Baylor, you see a cute four year old boy. However if you are around him long, you will note that he is autistic and he responds very differently to everyday situations.  It was so great to see Baylor at the center, playing in  the various areas with curiosity.

Enjoying a good fire...the smock is one he was wearing as he played in the water feature.

Happy Siblings!

Baylor was very interested in the water play. Hey, I think I would enjoy this one!!

One of my favorites of Elliott. This boy loves cars and trucks, so to drive the fire engine was epic.

Trians are fun too.

Let's milk a cow!!

Little brother actually got some milk to come out!!

I am so grateful to the people at the Autism Society for making this a fun afternoon that the whole Grimm family will remember for years to come.

9 comments:

Heather said...

It is so great that they have that available! Looks like everyone had a great time!

Terri D said...

What a great way to have the siblings enjoy the adventure together! Love the photos and you can see that everyone is enjoying their time there! Thanks for sharing!

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather it was so nice of the Autism Society to provide a Christmas treat to the children. And Terri, I am glad the siblings were included. So much of their parents time is focused on Baylor and that is how it has to be so these days are extra special.

Debby said...

I will have to look into this for our area. My youngest son's girlfriend has a 10 year old son that is autistic. Even though this same son had disabilities this is new for me. I think he shared some of the behavior but was not on the spectrum.
Your grandchildren are the cutest. What a fun day. It reminds me of our COSI in Columbus.

Sandy said...

I have been trying to read my blogs, but not post because I am up to my ears with Mom's moving. I couldn't pass up commenting on this one. That is awesome that they got to spend a great day at the center. More places should do this!

Mari said...

That looks like a fun place, and I love that they let the whole family come. A blessing for sure!

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

What a fabulous learning environment! So glad you had a good time and made great memories!

doodles n daydreams said...

I t looks like a wonderful day was had by all. Great that everyone could just relax and not have to worry about others.

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Ladies you hit the nail on the head...it is good to see those with disabilities enjoying themselves in a fun environment. And most families with children with special needs struggle financially so a free trip to a fun place like the McWane Center is a blessing indeed.