Followers

Friday, January 29, 2016

#Autismmatters

I was a person who was not involved in causes...not because I did not care but because I thought someone else would make the changes that need to be made in our world.  When Baylor was diagnosed with Autism at age three, I became aware of the big gap in the health care system for these children.  It is all Ben and Katy can do to provide the therapy Baylor needs. And they are not alone. Alabama is one of 7 states that does not require insurance to help with ABA therapy. This is a BIG therapy for children with autism, a life changing therapy in many cases. Baylor is not receiving it because of Alabama's insurance system. So to show our legislators in Alabama that there needs to be change we are blowing up social media with #autismmatters. Families are posting pictures etc on Facebook and Instagram.  Apparently if you want to get anyone's attention in our day and time, posting on social media is the way to go. So our family did their part yesterday!


Here is Ben and Katy's picture. Margaret's picture says, Help my Brudder.:)


Aunt Mimi and Kendall did their part as well.


And here is the picture I posted. Katy took this one of me and Baylor on Saturday when we visited the children.  I asked the question, "How can we refuse to allow this sweet boy to reach his potential?"

We will see if the state listens. Alabama is always at the bottom of most lists and does not seem to care about moving up but I hope they will listen to the citizens regarding this matter because #autsimmatterseveryday.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Good for ya'll to do something. It fits my sermon I heard last Sunday. When you aren't sure what to do ...do what is right in front of you. Praying it makes a difference.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This greatly troubles and surprises me on one level. I always assumed that Autism therapy was totally covered by insurance. I've had HUGE problems with BCBS in being self employed and having Rheumatoid Arthritis. We've finally gone to another plan and just forgot about BCBS.

I'm so glad you've made me aware of this. The more we tell others, the more everyone will know.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Ladies. Leslie Anne, BCBS will help with speech therapy and occupational therapy but what Autistic kids need most is ABA therapy which BCBS will not cover at all. When I see illegal immigrants getting all sorts of help from the government, via my tax dollars and my Grandson can get no help, it is very frustrating. Thanks for sharing your story with me...again something that is just irrational. Sandy, I am praying that the Autism Matters campaign will make a difference. One in 45 children in Alabama suffer with Autism...that is UNREAL to me. Praying a cure can be found!

Debby said...

That is wrong in so many ways. I love the picture of you and your grandson. Hope this helps.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Debbie...I hope we can be the change!!

Mari said...

Insurance is so frustrating in how it picks and chooses what and when to cover. That picture of you and Baylor is so sweet!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Mari...Baylor was sleepy so I was able to hold him and love on him. Most of the time he is a busy boy!!

Barbara said...

How can we not provide for these children. I don't know much about Autism but I know that I do not want any child to suffer if there is some help out there. We seriously need to offer assistance to these children and their families.