Followers

Monday, January 11, 2016

Christmas Banner for 2016

Do you ever get excited about a project, buy all the necessary supplies and then the supplies sit on a shelf in your craft room for quite a while before you tackle it?

Well the project I am sharing today is a little bit like that. I had the supplies ready but just did not have the time to put it together for Christmas 2015. So last week I took everything down from the shelf and got busy.

This project is one I thought of myself. And I was inspired by the Shutterfly Christmas Card that we received from Charles and Nancy with sweet Audrey gracing the front. I told Charles that I wished I had one for each grand. My plan then was to hang them on the tree. Charles told me that I could order just one card from Shutterfly. Of course it was a bit more expensive than ordering a whole stack but I should check it out. Sure enough I followed Charles advice and found that I could order a single card for each grand for about $4.  I was able to print their pictures from their first Christmas and I could put the year they were born on the front.  I was quite proud of myself.

When the cards arrived, I knew that the Christmas tree idea was not going to work. So I thought to myself, maybe a banner? I went to Hobby Lobby, purchased some cording and red and green material. And last week while watching my new dvds of Call the Midwife, I cut strips of material and strung them on the cording along with the Christmas cards.


This is hanging up in my craft room but I plan to hang it on my Dining Room mirror in December. I am  going to have to rework the loops as they are too big and I may add some jingle bells on the ends for decoration. It is a work in progress.


Some Close Ups...


I love that I could custom make the cards at Shutterfly!


I noticed after I ordered my cards that Audrey's is just a bit different but oh well. I am not going to let my OCD bother me over this one.  I love that this banner shows how each grand looked on their first Christmas.  I am sure I will be bringing it out for many years to come.

Oh and I almost forgot to say ROLL TIDE. Alabama plays Clemson for the national championship tonight. I hope the Crimson Tide rolls over Clemson.

13 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Arlene,
I hope you had a nice weekend. I love the pretty banner you made. I would love to make something like that too with my old Christmas cards. I love the strips of fabric too. Hope you enjoy the week.
Julie xo

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Julie...you could use family photos as well. I had fun making this. I may make up one for Easter too.

Sandy said...

The banner is adorable. I am guilty to the umpth degree of buying things for projects then never getting them done. Not good.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Sandy!! I needed a break from the cross stitching to allow my eyes to UNCROSS.:) I hope to post pictures of my friend's Christmas wreath tomorrow. I need to tweak it a bit today.

Heather said...

What a great idea and so cute! I love it!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Heather. I found it really did not take a lot of material to make this! I bought more than I needed ! Not a good estimator I guess. I think just a plain pastel banner would be nice for Easter.

Terri D said...

Arlene, that is such a great idea and it looks fantastic. I LOVE Shutterfly and all the great items they make available with just a few clicks on the computer! I've done three photo books from them, commemorating special events. I will look forward to seeing this again come December 2016!!

Arlene Grimm said...

I am going to have to explore that website more Terri. Love their products.

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, this is wonderful! I love the idea. Very creative! I love Shutterfly and I frequently get free offers from them. I've made magnets, calendars, a tote bag and probably eight or ten photo books. I would never have thought of making a banner, though.

Gina said...

Arlene, I LOVE your banner! What a great idea. I'd love to do this next Christmas!

Mari said...

What a great idea! It turned out adorable!

doodles n daydreams said...

I love this banner Arlene, such lovely memories.
And thank you for your comment on my post about Claude.

Dianao

Arlene Grimm said...

Mrs T, I am going to try my hand at some other Shutterfly projects! Gina, I do not see anymore babies in our future so I think my banner is done. If I get a surprise, I can add on!!Mari, I am already thinking of just doing a plain banner with pastel strips for Easter. Diana, thank you so much and I hope you are not missing Claude too badly.